I have mentioned before my love of cast-iron frying pan desserts. Here’s another one … one of my favourites! I often make it with just peaches but sometimes I’ll throw some blueberries in as well for change. It’s great, either way.
This cake is pleasantly sweet (but not overly sweet), fruity with a nice sauce that forms magically as it bakes. I like to put it in the oven just as we start dinner so that it’s ready and warm for dessert. It’s best served warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream.
Recipe: Peach Blueberry Pudding Cake
Summary: This cake can be made with only peaches, if you prefer. Simply increase the amount of peaches by 1/2 a cup. Depending on the size of your frying pan (or baking dish), the water might come up very close to the top. If so, you may wish to bake it with a baking sheet underneath or below it on a lower rack in case it boils over a bit at the edge.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (4 or 5 peaches)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spread sliced peaches evenly over the bottom of cast-iron frying pan (or alternately, an 8×8-inch baking dish). Sprinkle blueberries over peaches and then sprinkle with lemon juice.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients with milk mixture just until blended. Spoon over the fruit layer and gently spread.
- In a small bowl, combine the 3/4 cup sugar with the cornstarch then sprinkle evenly over batter. Carefully pour the boiling water over all.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until set and golden. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
Total time: 1 hour
Number of servings (yield): 8