These Tandoori Chicken lettuce wraps and a light summer meal, served with a creamy cucumber raita sauce.
This is another great, light summer meal to make on the grill, using economical chicken thighs, for moist chicken every time. The chicken is pleasantly spiced, but not so much that the kids will object.
If you happen to have Tandoori spice mix or paste around, you can skip making your own spice mix. Simply add 1/4 cup of either in place of the spices in the recipe. You can also choose to skip the rice, if you like. I like it when I make this for dinner, as it adds a bit more substance to the dish (for my husband’s appetite), but it is delicious without it as well. This is also great cold or at room temperature, so it’s perfect for the lunch box, too.
The cucumber raita sauce really brightens up this dish. It’s sort of like Tzatziki, without the garlic. It would make a great vegetable dip as well, I think.
This recipe makes a lot, but leftovers will never go to waste. They are great for lunch or snacks.
- 10 -12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Tandoori spice mix:
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Cucumber raita:
- 1/2 English cucumber (the long, skinny ones :)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Cooked basmati rice (optional)
- Boston (Bibb) lettuce leaves, separated
- Cut each thigh into three pieces. Place all the pieces in a zip-lock bag or bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the tandori spices with the 1/4 cup yogurt. Add to the zip-lock bag or bowl and stir or shake to coat the chicken well. Seal or cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Make the raita: Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the pulp from the middle with a teaspoon. Grate the cucumber into a bowl. Add the salt, stir and leave for 10-15 minutes. Strain the liquid off and add the remaining ingredients. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill the chicken pieces on a hot greased grill or BBQ. Allow to rest,then cut into smaller chunks. Place a heaped spoonful of cooked rice on the bottom end of each lettuce leaf, top with some of the chicken and top with a spoonful of raita.