A delicious warm banana bread pudding, topped with a decadent coconut caramel sauce. A great way to use up past their prime bananas!
This banana bread pudding is a special treat! I know we don't always think of bananas when it comes to bread puddings, but they are really nice. And when you top it with a decadent, easy coconut caramel sauce, it's just a fabulous flavour combination.
Enjoy this one on it's own, or take it up another notch by serving warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This pudding may not win any beauty contests, but what she lacks in neat looks, she more than makes up for in great taste! The combination of bread pudding dotted with warm, sweet bananas, topped with melting ice cream and all mixing together with the coconut caramel sauce is perfection. (The Coconut Caramel Sauce is positively addicting! I'll be making that over and over again :)
Cook's Notes for Banana Bread Pudding
The bread pudding and sauce can both be made ahead. Simply assemble/cook and refrigerate until you're ready to cook it!
This sauce is a real winner, so tuck away extra to use for other things :)
Banana Bread Pudding with Coconut Caramel Sauce
Banana Bread Pudding:
- 4 thick slices bread (toasted)
- 1 medium banana
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half & half cream (10% )
- 3 Tbsp. coconut milk (stirred well)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch Salt
Coconut Caramel Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (stirred)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Toast your bread slices lightly in the toaster, just to dry them a bit. Cut off the side crusts to form a rectangle. Cut each slice in to 9-12 cubes. Place toasted bread cubes aside.
- Slice your banana in to 1/2-inch slices, then cut each slice in to quarters. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp. brown sugar. Set aside.
- Stir the coconut milk: When you open your coconut milk, you may find a solid creamy layer on top. If so, stir this layer in with the more watery liquid underneath, to get a smooth, creamy milk.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, half & half cream, coconut milk, vanilla and salt. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Grease your baking dish. Place 1/3 of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the banana/brown sugar mixture over top. Add another 1/3 of the bread cubes. Sprinkle with remaining banana mixture. Top with remaining bread cubes. (You may not need all of them. Just fill vessel to near the top, but not to the top. Allow 3/4-1 inch growing room). Pour egg/cream mixture over top until it almost reaches the rim of the roaster. It may not all fit. Reserve any extra to top it up later. Press bread down with a fork, so that it compresses a bit and is mostly covered with liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15-20 minutes. If liquid level has dropped due to the bread absorbing it, top it up with reserved cream mix. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- To toast the coconut: Spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated 350° F. oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Watch closely! Remove to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the Caramel Coconut Sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes until sugar melts. Whisk in the stirred coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until thickened. Stir in toasted coconut and remove sauce to a bowl until needed. You can refrigerate. Microwave briefly to loosen up sauce again before serving.
- When your pudding has sat, place onto a baking sheet and bake in preheated 350F oven until set and browned, about 30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a clean knife in the centre to make sure it's set. If pudding is browning too quickly, loosely cover with a sheet of aluminum foil while it finishes baking.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes (it will deflate somewhat as it cools). To serve, top warm pudding with lots of the Coconut Caramel Sauce.