Make this delicious BBQ Chicken Stuffed Pizza easy starting with frozen bread dough and rotisserie chicken.
BBQ chicken pizza is one of my favourites, so when I started thinking about some food for Super Bowl Sunday, that's where I started. And just to do something a little different, I thought I would do a double crust stuffed pizza.
For this pizza, you can make your own dough or start with a loaf of frozen, store-bought bread dough. Likewise, you can quickly cook up some chicken or start with a rotisserie chicken. Either way, this pizza is not hard to make and will really deliver with great flavour and a hearty slice.
And yes, you can pick up these slices to eat them, so no plate/knife/fork needed. Unless you want to :)
Cook's Notes for BBQ Chicken Stuffed Pizza
When it comes to the BBQ sauce, it's actually easiest not to measure it out, but rather squirt it right from the container. I love Sweet Baby Ray's Original myself. Be sure not to be skimpy with the BBQ sauce, as it adds lots of flavour and acts to glue all the fillings together, too.
Don't fear the cilantro, even if you aren't typically a cilantro lover. Something about cooking it changes it into something lovely. If you don't want to use though, simply substitute some flat-leaf parsley.
If you have left-overs, you can re-heat them in a 350F oven, loosely covered with aluminum foil until warmed through, about 15 minutes.
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Pizza
Bread Dough: (or 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed)
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant yeast or bread machine yeast
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced *see notes
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, well packed
- 1/4 medium red onion thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- Additional mozzarella cheese shredded
- Additional chopped cilantro for garnish, for serving
- If starting with frozen, store-bought dough, thaw per package instructions, then place thawed frozen store-bought dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- If making your own dough: Combine all ingredients in a bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the kneading hook. Mix to combine, then add more flour as needed to make a smooth, moist, but not sticky dough. Knead by hand as necessary or with the kneading hook. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease and lightly flour a 10-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- When dough has risen, remove to a lightly floured surface and gently deflate. Divide dough in half. Roll one piece of the dough into a roughly 11-inch circle, flouring as needed to prevent sticking. Place in the bottom of the prepared springform pan, covering the bottom of the pan and an inch or so up the sides. Sprinkle one half of the mozzarella cheese over the bottom. Drizzle one half of the BBQ sauce over-top. Scatter cooked chicken overtop, then the red onion and cilantro. Drizzle with remaining BBQ sauce and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Roll second piece of dough into an 11-inch circle. Place over-top of pizza and press down around the outside to join the bottom dough with the top.
- Cover pan with a clean tea towel and let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake in 400F oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and scatter additional mozzarella cheese over top. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes to melt cheese. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.