A delicious Lemon Glazed Blueberry Buttermilk Cake, with a sweet lemon glaze. Can be made in individual servings, or as one large cake.
I don't think I will ever tire of the combination of lemon and blueberries. This simple buttermilk blueberry cake with lemon glaze is one of my favourite ways to enjoy it.
I have made this particular cake as a large 9-inch square cake, in my cast-iron skillet, as individual muffins, in ramekins and in shallow larger dishes to be enjoyed as dessert for two. Any way you make it, it's perfect for a morning sweet or an after-dinner treat.
Cook's Notes for Lemon Glazed Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
These cakes are nice at room temperature or slightly warmed. To warm, pop into the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
If you don't happen to have any buttermilk on hand, simply use regular milk (1/2 cup less 1 1/2 tsp.) and add 1 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes before mixing in to batter.
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries with this one. If using frozen, be sure to fold in to batter very gently, to avoid a purple batter. You can lightly dust frozen blueberries with flour before adding to help with this, as well.
If making smaller portions, be sure to watch closely as the cooking time will vary.
Blueberry Buttermilk Cake with a Sweet Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature and cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (*or see substitution below)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen - DIVIDED)
- 2 cups icing/confectioner's sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan, smaller baking pans, ramekins or muffin tins.
- Make the crumb topping: Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Add the butter and using a fork or your fingers, combine the butter with the dry ingredients until you have crumbs the size of peas. Place in freezer while you make the cake.
- To make the cake: Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the side of the bowl several times. Stir in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries.
- Spread batter into prepared pan (or pans) and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of blueberries over the top. Sprinkle the chilled crumb mixture over the berries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (for a 9-inch pan - much less for muffins or small ramekins), or until lightly golden and firm on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, drizzle with lemon glaze.
- To make the glaze, combine the icing sugar, lemon juice and butter in a small microwaveable bowl and stir until blended. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir well until no lumps remain. Glaze should be fairly thin and fall freely off a spoon. Add more lemon juice, if necessary (or more icing sugar if too thin). Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.