All the classic Canadian Butter Tart flavours, in frozen form! A great refreshing Summer dessert on a stick.
Happy Canada Day! This year, my part of Canada is in the middle of a heat wave, with temperature reaching 35C (100F) with lots of humidity. Given the heat, I thought a frozen Canadian-themed treat was in order!
These Butter Tart Popsicles have all the flavours of classic Canadian Butter Tarts, in frozen form! They are a great Summer frozen treat - a refreshing, dessert on a stick!
Hoping all my Canadian friends have a wonderful Canada Day! Stay cool :) And when the time comes today, sing it loud and proud. We are so lucky to live in a this beautiful, fabulous country!!
No popsicle mold? Use small plastic disposable cups and wooden popsicle sticks instead. Simply fill the cups, then cover each with aluminum foil. Poke popsicle stick through the center of the foil and freeze.
Using canned Dulce de Leche makes these super easy. Look for it right next to the canned Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Save the left-over canned sweetened condensed milk and dulce de leche and use it in your Summer iced coffee!
Pour any leftover cream mixture from the popsicles into ice cube trays and freeze to use for iced coffee, as well.
Butter Tart Popsicles
- 2 1/2 cups 10% half and half cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canned dulce de leche, or make your own
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shortbread or shortcake cookies, divided
- Whisk together the cream, egg yolks and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Place on the stove-top over medium-high heat. Heat mixture, stirring regularly, until mixture begins to thicken, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in condensed milk, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Strain mixture through fine-mesh sieve into large liquid measuring cup. Refrigerate until completely cool, about 2 hours.
- When cream mixture is cooled, prepare the dulce de leche. In small bowl, gently stir dulce de leche with 1/2 cup of the diced cookies. Set aside.
- Fill 10 ice pop moulds halfway with cream mixture. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the dulce de leche mixture to each. Fill with remaining custard, leaving 3/4-inch headspace. Using a skewer, gently stir to distribute dulce de leche a bit. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup diced cookie onto the top of each popsicle. Insert pop sticks and freeze until firm, about 6 to 12 hours.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.