A quick and easy, one-pan chicken thigh dinner, this Chicken Thighs with Cherry Tomatoes has tons of colour and flavours from cherry tomatoes! A perfect Fall meal.
Fall in my part of the world is totally up and down in the temperature department. We will wake up to temperatures that are quickly inching towards freezing, while it will still often warm up to summer-like temperatures during the day. It’s like having one foot in both seasons.
This chicken dish is like having a foot in both seasons, too. It’s a little bit Fall comfort food, but with the fresh flavours and colours of summer from the cherry tomatoes. Since the cherry tomatoes in this dish are added at the very end, they hardly cook at all, so their fresh flavours and colours stick around to enjoy in the finished dish.
I especially enjoy the lovely pan sauce that simmers down as the chicken cooks is flavoured with a bit of mustard and some fresh tarragon. It’s a perfect complement to the chicken and tomatoes.
Cook’s Notes for Chicken Thighs with Cherry Tomatoes
I think this dish would also be lovely with boneless/skinless chicken thighs (or breasts, for that matter). Without the skin though, be sure to add some butter to the pan to saute the shallots and to add a little richness to the sauce. The cooking time may also be a little shorter to done, with boneless thighs.
As with all dishes like this, do taste the finished sauce and add salt and pepper, as necessary to really bring the flavours together.
Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
A quick, easy and delicious one-pan chicken dinner, with a fresh taste from the cherry tomatoes that are added at the very end to maintain the fresh flavour.
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 – 8 medium shallots (peeled and halved)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- Rinse chicken thighs in water, and pat them very dry with paper towels. Sprinkle over them the flour, salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, cook the chicken, in batches if necessary, until well browned and crisp on all sides. Remove and set aside. Remove excess fat, leaving a Tbsp. or so in the pan.
- Add the whole shallots to the pot and sauté them in the chicken fat until they begin to soften and caramelize, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Add the wine to deglaze the pot, then add chicken broth, the mustard and tarragon. Return the chicken thighs to the pot and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked (test with a knife near the bone. Juices should run clear and meat should not be pink).
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pot, stir lightly to combine and serve immediately.