These delicious Chipotle and Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits have a bit of a bite and of course, but also a good bit of cheesy goodness!
I am a huge fan of biscuits. It’s probably due to the long, cold Canadian winters that I endure and that of course means soup, chilli and stews are often one the menu. There’s really nothing like a warm biscuit to round-out comfort type meals.
These buttermilk biscuits are dead easy to make in your stand mixer (or food processor) or just make them by hand. The bit of bite comes from Chipotle Chili Powder. It provides a subtle smokiness to these biscuits with a just a bit of heat. And there’s some paprika and finely chopped green onions in there too, which ups the flavour profile.
As for the cheese, any cheddar will work for these biscuits, but my only advice is to not be too neat when you’re sprinkling it over the tops. This is not the time to carefully re-place any cheese that might fall off the top and on to the baking pan. Just leave them where they land, because those crispy bits of cheese that hang on to the bottom of the biscuits are a little nuggets of goodness :)
If you don’t have chipotle chili powder, you can use regular chili powder instead.
You can make these biscuits in a food processor, stand mixer or by hand by simply cutting the butter in to the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives.
You want your biscuit dough to be moist, but not sticky. Add a bit more flour if necessary.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, just use 1 cup of regular milk and add 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes, stir and then use in this recipe.
Get the Recipe: Chipotle and Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt, use 1/4 tsp. less if you're using salted butter
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, DIVIDED
- 2 Tbsp. green onion, finely chopped, green part only
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Cut cold butter into cubes and place in a bowl in the freezer until ready to use.
- To make in a food processor insted, simply use the pulse mode to combine dry mixture, then pulse again to cut the butter in to pea-sized pieces. Add the buttermilk as described below and pulse until it comes together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, sugar, paprika and chili powder. Stir to combine well. Add 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and the green onion and stir until combined.
- Add the chilled butter cubes and mix with paddle attachment on medium speed until butter is broken down to the size of peas. Add about 3/4 cup of the buttermilk to the bowl and mix on medium-low speed until dough starts to clump up. Add more buttermilk, a bit at a time, until dough comes together and is moist. You may not need to use all the buttermilk.
- Remove dough to a floured working surface and using a sprinkling of flour on top, roll in to a circle about 1-inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut biscuits by cutting straight down (don't twist the cutter), then remove biscuits to prepared baking sheet. When all biscuits are cut, sprinkle the tops with the remaining grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and golden.
I could never resist a good flaky biscuit, especially a savoury one! Beautiful!
Thanks Julia. These are a nice change from the usual :)
Oh yes I want all the crispy little pieces of cheese. These sound delicious, Jennifer. And ugh – long cold winters!
Thanks Liz and yes, you know about these long winters too! Comfort food is the only good thing about it ;)
You’ve taken buttermilk biscuits and made them even better – I just love how you have added the warmth of the chipotle in these tender cheesy bites, Jennifer!
Thanks so much, Liren :)
Nothing beats a good savory buttermilk biscuit – they’re like a comforting hug from the Southern grandmother I’ve never had. These look super delicious and I have to make the recipe!
Thanks Thalia. There is nothing like warm biscuits for comfort food :)
Buttermilk biscuits are the best! Love the heat you added with chipotle :).
Thanks so much, Laura :)
Oh wow, that tumble of golden biscuits is hard to resist!
Thanks Sue. I did have a hard time resisting ;)
I LOVE biscuits and these look beautiful! I love the savory combination of chipotle and cheddar and can’t wait to try this!
Thanks Stephanie. My daughter is a wee bit addicted to Chipotle Chili Powder, so she requests these often. I love the cheesy bits :)
Biscuits are my ultimate definition of comfort food. There’s seriously nothing like biting into a fresh biscuit right out of the oven… YUM!
I agree Meghan. Thanks :)
I just recently made my own butter, and with that my own buttermilk. I used it in a recipe and it made for the most moist bread ever. I can only imagine in biscuits that it takes them to the next level. Plus all that cheesy goodness? I want a basketful!
I haven’t made butter in ages, but I remember loving having that bit of buttermilk left from the process. Would be great in these!
Buttermilk biscuits are so dangerous for me…this look amazing!!
Thanks Katrina. Thankfully, my husband eats many, many of them every time I bake them, so there’s not so many left that I can get in to too much trouble ;)