You can make these Chipotle Chicken and Pineapple Skewers on the BBQ, in a grill pan on the stove-top or under the broiler in the oven.
These quick, easy and delicious skewers are a lovely combination of spicy and sweet, from the chipotle spices and the sweet pineapple. An easy summer meal, lovely served with grilled sweet potatoes.
Aside from the marinating time, these skewers come together in just the time it takes to put them on the skewers. From there, it’s a quick 10-15 minutes to the plate.
Cook’s Notes for Chipotle Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
I love to serve these with grilled sweet potatoes. I simply cut the sweet potatoes and boil them until fork tender. I do this earlier in the day and refrigerate. When the grill is ready, I brush them with butter, season with salt and pepper (and sometimes some chipotle chili powder) and grill alongside the skewers.
Chipotle Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups large chunks of fresh pineapple
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks and set aside. In a medium bowl, finely grate the peel of the lime and the orange in to the bowl.Squeeze lime juice (about 2 Tbsp.) and orange juice (about 1/4 cup)in to the bowl. Add oil, garlic, chipotle and oregano. Whisk to combined. Add chicken chunks and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or over-night, turning occasionally.
- Heat broiler, grill pan or BBQ to medium high. Thread chicken with pineapple alternately on to skewers. Season with salt and pepper. Grill, brushing with remaining marinade and turning frequently until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes on the BBQ, about 5 minutes per side in a grill pan or about 7 minutes per side under the broiler. Enjoy with grilled sweet potato slices.
- For the grilled sweet potato slices: Cut sweet potatoes in to planks, then cut in half down the middle lengthwise. Cook in boiling water until just fork tender (10-15 minutes). Remove to paper towel to dry and cool. You can do this ahead and refrigerate or proceed to brush potatoes with melted butter, season with salt and pepper (a pinch of chipotle chili powder is nice, too) and grill alongside your chicken skewers.