Learn how to make cold brewed coffee and simple syrups for delicious iced coffee at home!
The weather here is getting warmer every day and soon, my hot coffee will be replaced with iced coffee! So I thought I'd share my Summer iced coffee routine.
Iced coffee in my house starts with cold-brewed coffee - the process of soaking ground coffee in room temperature water for 12 hours or so, then straining to make a coffee concentrate. I use a French Press for this process, but any jar or vessel will work just fine. Using the French Press makes the process of straining the coffee much easier and I'm lazy like that. If you don't have a French Press, you'll need coffee filters or cheesecloth to strain.
Beyond the coffee concentrate, there is the simple syrup. I like my coffee sweet and since regular sugar doesn't dissolve well in cold liquids, I make up a batch of simple syrup that I keep in the fridge to be added as needed.
The simple syrup must be refrigerated, but will keep for a month or so! I've included my recipe for a vanilla-infused simple syrup as well, because it's nice to have variety and it's perfect after dinner!
Finally, there's the splash of cream. It's optional of course, but it's a must for me :)
For this coffee batch, I used a dark roast coffee. It made for a perfect rich cup and strained beautifully in my French Press.
Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee and Simple Syrups
- To make 1 cup of iced coffee -I add 1 part coffee concentrate, 1 part water, 1 Tbsp. of simple syrup, iced cubes and a splash of cream.
Cold Brewed Coffee Concentrate:
- 1 part ground coffee
- 3 parts water
- 1 part water
- 1 part sugar
Vanilla Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean ((or 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste))
- For the Cold Brewed Coffee Concentrate: Stir together the water and ground coffee in a French Press or large bowl/jar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 12 hours. Press or strain with a coffee filter in to a large jar. Refrigerate.
- For the Simple Syrup: In a small-medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and sugar. Stir regularly until sugar dissolves, then let come to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat to cool slightly, then transfer to a jar, cover and refrigerate. Use as needed.
- For the Vanilla Simply Syrup: In a small-medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water and vanilla bean or paste. Stir regularly until sugar dissolves, then let come to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat to cool slightly, then transfer to a jar (with the vanilla bean, if using). Cover and refrigerate. Use as needed.