These Grilled Fish Taco Appetizers are perfect for entertaining, as everything can be made ahead. Just assemble to serve!
These appetizers ... they are perfect for entertaining! All the components can be made up ahead, then simply assemble in minutes when ready to serve. They get bonus points for pretty and easy to grab and eat, too.
To turn the great flavours of fish tacos in to appetizers, I baked up some tortilla cups in a mini-muffin pan and then filled them with some fish and Pico de Gallo, then topped it with a creamy Avocado Crema.
Cook's Notes for Grilled Fish Taco Appetizers with Avocado Crema
You can use either a BBQ grill or a grill pan on the stove-top to cook your fish. Once cooked, simply cube and refrigerate until ready to use.
You won't want these to sit too long at room temperature. I like to make some, serve and then make some more as needed, as they come together quickly.
Top Tip! Use lime slices to keep your appetizers steady and upright.
Fish Taco Appetizers with Avocado Crema
- 1 lb. firm white fish
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
Fish Basting Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- Juice from one small lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
Pico de Gallo:
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed, diced (or cherry tomatoes, cut in small pieces)
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Pulp from one ripe avocado
- Juice from one small lime
- Pinch salt
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime slices
- For the Tortilla Cups: Cut each tortilla into 4 quarters. Preheat oven to 375° F. Press piece of tortilla into cup of a mini muffin tray. (If tortillas seem too stiff, microwave them for 10 seconds or so to soften). Press well and fold gently so they stay in, but be careful not to poke a hole in the bottom. Place into preheated oven. Check during the first minute of cooking in case any pop up. If so, gently push them back down in to the muffin cup. Bake for 8-10 minutes until firm and starting to brown around the edges. Allow to cool in the muffin tin.
- For the Fish Basting Sauce: Combine ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- For the Pico de Gallo: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- For the Avocado Crema: Combine all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- For cooking the fish: Heat grill or grill pan. Baste one side of fish and place basted side down on the grill. Cook for about 2 minutes. Baste exposed side of fish and flip fish. Cook another 2 minutes, or until cooked and flaky. Remove and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: Place a chunk of cooked and cooled grilled whitefish in to a baked tortilla cup. Spoon some of the Pico de Gallo around it and top with a dollop of avocado crema. Garnish with cilantro leaves. To serve: Lean filled tortilla cups on to a thin slice of lime to ensure they stay upright and then the lime can be used to flavour the appetizers, as well.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.