A perfect meatless main dish, this Meyer Lemon Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms is also a delicious side dish for grilled chicken, shrimp or fish.
Risotto is one of my favourite ways to enjoy a meatless meal and lemon risotto is one of my favourites. With Meyer lemons currently in season, they were my choice this time around. To make it a little "meatier", I added a some pan-fried shiitake mushrooms and for a little green, some wilted arugula.
While risotto does require some attention, it really doesn't require constant attention. Regular stirring is sufficient. No need for constant stirring. Be sure to taste at the end and add salt, pepper and maybe a touch more lemon juice, if needed.
Cook's Notes for Meyer Lemon Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms
You can certainly make this risotto with regular lemons, as well, if you can't find Meyer lemons. Spinach could also be substituted for the arugula. Make this dish gluten free by using gluten free chicken broth or vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken.
This risotto recipe will serve 2 as a meatless main dish, or 4 or a side dish. It's perfect as a side for grilled chicken, shrimp or fish.
Meyer Lemon Risotto with Arugula And Shiitake Mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan packed
- A couple of handfuls of baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 shiitake mushrooms stem removed and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Meyer Lemon zest for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat broth over medium heat until steaming.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp. butter. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened. Add rice and stir, until coated in butter, about 45 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the alcohol smell burns off, about 1 minutes. Add one ladle-full of the warm chicken broth and cook, stirring regularly, until the broth disappears. Add another ladle-full and continue cooking, adding ladles of broth as it disappears, until all the broth is gone.
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, then add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring regularly, until golden brown. Keep warm over low heat.
- When the risotto is almost cooked (when adding the last ladle-full of broth) add the lemon zest, lemon juice and Parmesan. Stir to combine. Add the arugula and cook, stirring, until wilted. Taste risotto and add salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed.
- Spoon risotto onto plates or shallow bowls. Top with warm shiitakes and a bit of lemon zest.