A quick and easy pasta dish, this Poppy Seed Prosciutto and Lemon Pasta, is just a little different, with the addition of toasted poppy seeds. along with prosciutto. The buttermilk added to the sauce adds great flavour and keeps the calories in check, too.
I’m always drawn to recipes that offer me something new, either in technique or flavours. This pasta recipe intrigued me with the addition of poppy seeds, along with prosciutto and lemon. It turned out to be excellent and I’ll definitely be making this again. It was a quick and easy dinner, too!
If you’re like me, you most often think of the lemon/poppy seed combination in sweet dishes. But I know I love lemon with pasta and prosciutto is always good. I wondered what the poppy seeds would bring to the mix. The result was very subtle and except for the necessity of a good flossing afterwards, was really nice.
The other interesting ingredient in this recipe is buttermilk, which added a slight tang to the sauce. I liked it! As for the heavy cream, I often have people asking if they can substitute. Recipes often call for heavy cream when combined with acidic ingredients like lemon or wine (or both), because it’s high fat content prevents it from “breaking”. You can certainly use a lower fat cream, but do understand that it may break or become a little grainy. I imagine if you’re a buttermilk lover (my husband drinks the stuff by the glass!), you could also just use all buttermilk.
Poppy Seed Prosciutto and Lemon Pasta
A quick and easy pasta, that’s just a little bit different with the addition of toasted poppy seeds. The added buttermilk makes for a nice flavour in the sauce, as well. Makes 2 generous servings or 3 smaller servings.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced ((2 slices))
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more to garnish
- 2 green onions, cut in to 1/2-inch slices
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus slices to serve
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the poppy seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant and shallots begin to brown lightly, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add buttermilk and cream. Cook, stirring, until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water, and add pasta to sauce in skillet. Add prosciutto, Parmesan, half the green onions and lemon juice. Toss to combine, adding some of the reserved pasta water if necessary to make a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining scallions and more Parmesan.