A chocolate lovers cookie! Delicious, quick and easy, with the great combination of salt and chocolate.
Let's face it, there are times when only chocolate will do and when I have one of those moments, these brownie cookies are high on the list of things to satisfy that need.
These are a chocolate lovers cookie. They are full of chocolate flavour, but not overly sweet. The cookie is, of course, chocolate, but they are also studded with chocolate pieces that bake up into little chocolate puddles inside the cookie. The salt on the top really enhances the chocolate flavour and delivers that great sweet/salty contrast.
Cook's Notes for Salted Chocolate Brownie Cookies
These are lovely served ever-so-slightly warm with a big glass of cold milk. If you, like me, cannot trust yourself with a big plate of chocolate cookies within reach, you'll be pleased to know that these cookies freeze beautifully. To enjoy from the freezer, just place on a piece of paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Substitution for Unsweetened Chocolate
No unsweetened chocolate? No worries. Here are two ways you can substitute for unsweetened chocolate in baking ...
1) 3 level tablespoons unsweetened cocoa and 1 tablespoon butter or shortening for every 1-ounce unsweetened baking chocolate.
2) 3 level tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa plus 1 tablespoon shortening, butter, or oil for every 1-ounce unsweetened baking chocolate.
Salted Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate (chopped (*see substitution options below))
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate pieces (or semi-sweet, DIVIDED)
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter (diced)
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Optional 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Fleur de Sel or other coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a double boiler over low heat, melt unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of the chocolate chips and butter, stirring until smooth. (*You can also melt in the microwave if you prefer).
- In a bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until very thick and pale and mixture forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed on mixer to low and beat in melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined. Fold in the remaining 1/2 chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoons or small scoop (about 1/4 cup), about 2 inches apart onto baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, flatten until level on top. Sprinkle generously with Fleur de Sel. Bake in middle of oven 8 to 12 minutes (less for smaller cookies, more for larger cookies), or until puffed and set on top. Cool cookies in baking sheets for 1 minute and then transfer to racks to cool completely.