Fun, easy and delicious, these Warm Shortcake Topped Fruit skillets are filled with warm fruit and topped with shortcake biscuits. Lovely served warm with ice cream.
If you are looking for something festive, easy and delicious for Canada Day weekend, may I suggest these lovely, warm Shortcake Topped Fruit Skillets, topped with maple leaf shaped shortcake biscuits! These are just the thing to finish off your holiday BBQ. You can even make them ahead and re-warm to serve.
And while I’ve cut my shortcakes in to maple leaves, for my American friends, I’m thinking these would be pretty perfect with cut out stars as well!
All that said, if you prefer, you don’t even need to cut the dough in to any shape at all. Simply drop by spoonfuls on top of the fruit. The shortcakes cook right along with and on top of the fruit in the oven.
Cook’s Notes for Warm Shortcake Topped Fruit Skillets
If you don’t have small skillets, you can find them here or you can make this in one large cast iron skillet and scatter your shortcakes over the top. A 10-inch top diameter skillet would be just about right, I think.
As noted, you don’t need to cut the shortcake dough in to shapes. If you like, simply drop scoops of the dough on top of the fruit.
For my skillets, I’ve used frozen wild blueberries, combined with fresh sweet cherries. Any fruit or combination of fruit works well with these though. Adjust the amount of added sugar if using naturally sweeter fruits like peaches or strawberries.
Enjoy these warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream. If making ahead, you can re-warm in a 350F. oven for a few minutes.
Don’t have small cast-iron skillets yet?
Here’s some great little cast iron skillets on Amazon!
[amazon_link asins=’B00SX9RTZE,B00LJSETWM,B001KOUGU4′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’etc0fb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2cf4abfc-8b31-11e7-b6f2-f3c69b23730d’]
Disclosure: Seasons and Suppers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Shortcake Topped Fruit Skillets
- 3 cups whole fresh sweet cherries pitted
- 2 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
Scones: (makes 4 1-inch thick scones)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter cold
- 1/3 cup cream (heavy cream (35% or half and half 10% cream)
- Turbinado, coarse or white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit, sugar and cornstarch. *Note: Adjust the amount of added sugar to taste and according to the natural sweetness of the fruit you are using. Use 2/3 cup for sweeter fruit, up to 1 cup for less sweet fruit) Divide fruit mixture evenly between four 5-inch cast iron skillets (or place all in one large 10-inch top diameter skillet). Place skillets on a baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes, while you prepare the shortcake dough.
- For the shortcake dough, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 Tbsp white sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cold butter and using your fingertips, rub the butter in to the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs. Add the cream and using a fork, stir until the dough is evenly moistened (you may need to add a bit more cream).
- Turn dough out on to a floured surface. Gather together in to a ball and fold it over on itself once or twice. Flour the top of the dough lightly and roll out in to a roughly 6-inch diameter circle. If cutting shapes, cut 4 shapes out of the dough and set aside. Brush tops of shapes with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- When fruit has cooked for 10 minutes, remove from oven. Place one cut shape on top of fruit. *Note: If you don't want to cut shapes, simply use an ice cream scoop or similar to drop scoops of shortcake dough on top of fruit. Return to oven and bake a further 15-20 minutes, or until shortcakes are golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. To re-warm, if making ahead, place in a 350F. oven for a few minutes before serving.