This Spicy Orange Sesame Udon Stir Fry features a spicy soy orange sesame sauce, with carrots, red peppers and bok choy. Ready in just 20 minutes!
Happy New Year! If you’re starting the new year off looking for things a little lighter and fresher, this orange udon stir fry is for you. If you resolved to eat more vegetables, this dish is for you. And if you are just plain worn out from the holidays and looking for a quick and easy dinner, this dish is also for you :)
I think you’ll love these fresh udon noodles that are quickly stir fried together with red pepper, carrots and bok choy and seasoned with a spicy soy orange sesame sauce. It’s a fresh and easy way to start the year. Be sure to browse the “Cook’s Notes” below the recipe as well, for some additional thoughts and tips for this recipe.
Cook’s Notes for Spicy Orange Sesame Udon Stir Fry
Udon noodle stir fries are one of my favourite quick, weeknight meals. I always keep udon noodles stocked in the pantry and stir fries are also great fridge cleaners! We really enjoyed the bit of citrus in this one. So fresh, especially this time of year. It was a great complement to the soy and sesame flavours. And the fact that it’s on the table in 20 minutes is a huge bonus!
Like all stir fries, you’ll want to have both your sauce mixed and all your vegetables cut and ready before you heat your wok or skillet, as things move quickly in stir fries.
You can use any type of orange in this recipe. I used mandarins, because who can resist them with their leaves attached and bright orange peel?!
Asian Chili Garlic Sauce is easily available in the Asian food sections of most supermarkets. You could also substitute Sambal Oelek or Sriracha, but be sure to reduce the amount to 1 tsp. as those sauces pack more of a heat punch.
The Asian Chili Garlic sauce is the heat in this recipe, so adjust the amount to your liking. If you’re not sure, start with 1 Tbsp. and add from there to taste. You can also serve with an extra dollop on top of the finished dish to be stirred in as you eat.
This recipe serves 2 or maybe three. Simply double if you’re serving more people. Enjoy!
Love udon noodles? You might also enjoy … my 15 Minute Spicy Udon and Vegetables stir fry recipe.
Spicy Orange Sesame Udon Noodle Stir Fry with Bok Choy
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Asian Chili Garlic Sauce (could sub 1 tsp. sriracha or sambal oelek)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1-2 tsp oil
- 1 carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 5 baby bok choy halved
- 1 cup sliced green onion divided
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 2 7 oz pkgs shelf stable udon noodles
- Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside. Prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Don't add any oil yet. Add sesame seeds to hot pan and stirring continuously, cook until lightly golden and fragrant. Remove sesame seeds to a small bowl and add oil to pan.
- Add carrots to pan and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add red pepper and ginger and cook until tender. Add bok choy and 3/4 of the green onion and cook, tossing with other ingredients until they start to wilt. Add udon noodles and sauce and cook until noodles are warmed and sauce has thickened.
- Remove to serving dishes and garnish with sesame seeds and remaining green onion.