I am loving the fact that there is enough daylight left to take photos of some dinners for a change. This was tonight's dinner salad - a salad I've enjoyed many times over the past few years, but was reminded how good it was and really wanted to share it.
An easy and delicious steak salad recipe, with arugula, Parmesan and a balsamic shallot glaze.
I discovered this salad a few years ago in Bon Apetit magazine, and it has been a regular dinner salad ever since. It may look simple, a little "plain-jane" even, but trust me, the combination of flavours on this plate is simply delicious. And have I mentioned that this is a meal that is ready in about 10 minutes? Yes it is. This dinner takes just about as long as it takes to grill a steak. Delicious and lightning fast to the table. It really doesn't get any better than that.
This salad starts with a bed of arugula. The steak is quickly BBQ'd (or you can use a grill pan, if you like), then left to rest with a dollop of Parmesan butter placed to melt on top. While the meat rests, the balsamic/shallot dressing heats quickly in a small saucepan. Then simply cut your steak, place over a bed of arugula, spoon over the balsamic dressing and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan. Serve with a slice of lemon, to squeeze over the salad. Dig in and fill your fork with a bit of everything on the plate and I'm sure you'll become a fan of this dish, as well.
I think the original recipe suggested rib eye steak, but I have made this salad with a variety of steaks with great success. Any grilling steak will work here. Tonight, it was a couple of small strip loin steaks.
- [b]Parmesan Butter:[/b]
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 1 large or two small rib-eye, strip loin or other grilling steaks
- 4 cups arugula
- Balsamic Shallot Glaze: (this sauce is delicious ... you may want to double)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots (can substitute red onion, in a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 lemon wedges
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- Heat your BBQ grill (or grill pan). While you heat your grill, prepare the Parmesan butter and set aside. Chop your shallots and place in a small saucepan with the balsamic and brown sugar. Set aside for now.
- Grill your steak, to taste. Place on a cutting board to rest and immediately spoon the Parmesan butter over your steak to melt while the steak rests.
- Meanwhile, place the saucepan with the sauce on the stove over high heat. Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet. Boil until reduced to glaze, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a bed of arugula over a large plate. Cut your steak on the diagonal and place on top of the arugula. Spoon the balsamic/shallot glaze over the steak and sprinkle the salad with shaved Parmesan. Serve with a lemon slice to squeeze over the salad.
Adapted from a Bon Apetit magazine, October 2008