Delicious Thai Green Curry Chicken summer rolls, with Thai curry marinated chicken and vegetables.
There’s a reason these are called summer rolls! These Thai Green Curry Chicken Summer Rolls are the perfect summer lunch or light supper. They are also great as an appetizer for summer entertaining. But you have to hurry. In case you hadn’t noticed, summer days are numbered :)
I’ve only recently discovered the joys of making summer rolls at home, after enjoying them in restaurants for years. For some reason, I thought they might be tricky to make. Not! Sure, the first couple rolls I made weren’t the prettiest, but once I got the hang of it, I was a summer roll making machine. This green curry variety is one of my favourites, especially when I have left-over chicken around to make the process even easier and quicker.
With left-over chicken, simply cook up the sauce and combine with the chicken. Store in the refrigerator and spoon out as needed. This way you can make just one or two rolls and eat them fresh whenever the mood strikes.
Thai Green Curry Chicken Summer Rolls
For the Chicken:
- 1 tsp. green curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup coconut milk thick kind with cream and milk, stirred to combine before measuring
- 1 tsp. green curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup tomatoes fresh, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. lime zest
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 8 round rice paper wrappers
- 2 green onions cut in long shreds
- 1/3 English cucumber cut into long shreds
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup baby lettuce mix
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To cook chicken (skip this section if you are using left-over cooked chicken): Preheat oven to 400° F. In a small bowl, combine the curry paste, soy sauce and 1 Tbsp.vegetable oil. Brush on to chicken breasts. Heat remaining oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat and add chicken breasts. Sear for 2 minutes on each side. Place skillet in oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until juices are clear. Remove chicken from skillet. Keep skillet handy for making sauce. Cut chicken into long pieces, about 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch by 6-inches long or so.
- For the sauce: To the skillet, add coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, sugar, tomatoes and lime rind to skillet. Heat over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is very thick and only about 1/2 cup remains. Stir in lime juice. Return the chicken to skillet and toss with sauce. Refrigerate to cool.
- Prepare vegetables and divide chicken into 8 portions. Place a sheet of waxed or parchment paper on counter top.
- Dip rice paper wrapper into a large bowl of warm water for 4-5 seconds to soften and transfer to parchment paper. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, place 1 portion of chicken filling onto top third of wrapper, spreading it to about an inch of the edge. Add 2 to 3 shreds of green onion, 2 long shreds of cucumber, 3 cilantro leaves and a few leaves of baby lettuce mix. Season with salt and pepper. Roll up wrapper tucking in ends as you roll. Place, seam-side down, on a tray. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- When finished, cover with a damp cloth and wrap in plastic wrap until serving.