A delicious and easy Weekend Breakfast Skillet that’s cooked entirely in the oven. This skillet of goodness features sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes and baked beans. Enjoy for breakfast or breakfast for dinner!
As you are reading this, I will be hitting the highway south, heading to Toronto for a quick weekend visit with the daughter. She loves when we visit. At least that’s what we tell ourselves. Ok. Let’s just settle on she doesn’t really mind, since we are usually bringing things with us – food, pieces of furniture, baked goods.
Our daughter is enjoying that first real job/first apartment in the big city phase of her life – or “adulting”, as she likes to call it :) It’s been fun for us to help her get settled and having a place to land while enjoying a regular dose of city life doesn’t hurt either.
The daughter would not be a fan of this dish though, since she’s vegetarian, but we love it, so I thought I’d just take a minute to share it today, since you know … it’s the weekend and all.
This skillet of goodness features sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes and baked beans. It takes almost an hour in the oven, as it cooks up in stages, but it’s pretty much passive cooking time, as your only job will be to open the oven and throw something else in to the skillet. Enjoy it for a weekend breakfast or as breakfast-for-dinner!
Cook’s Notes for Weekend Breakfast Skillet
My skillet is 10 inches in diameter across the top, so fairly small. It’s works perfectly for a skillet breakfast for 2-3. If your skillet is larger, you can certainly put more of each ingredient in and serve more. Just be careful not to get too carried away and try to put too much in the pan, as it won’t cook as nicely if it’s crowded.
I will often add spinach to this dish, if I have some on hand. If you’d like to add some greens, add it when you add the tomatoes.
Weekend Breakfast Skillet
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 4 pork breakfast sausages small
- 2-3 small potatoes diced
- 3-4 slices bacon
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes halved
- 7.5 oz can baked beans 227ml
- 3 eggs
- Toast to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush the bottom of an oven-proof skillet with cooking oil. Add sausages in an even layer on one side of the skillet. Scatter potatoes in an even layer on the other side. Stir potatoes around a bit to coat with a bit of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Flip sausage and stir potatoes. Make some space in the center of the skillet and place 3 strips of bacon down the centre, as flat as possible. Return to oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. If you have some extra fat from the bacon, carefully spoon some of it off and discard. Move the bacon to the side, flip the sausages and stir the potatoes. Add your tomatoes to the centre of the skillet and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. If you have extra moisture from the tomatoes, carefully spoon off and discard. Flip the sausage and stir the bacon and potatoes. Make some space in the skillet and add the baked beans. Crack 3 eggs over-top. Return to oven for about 15 minutes, or until beans are warmed and eggs are set.
- Serve with warm buttered toast.