Southwest 3-Bean Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 10 servings
A delicious twist on classic 3-Bean Salad, with the addition of cumin and lime and black beans and cilantro.
- 15 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed well
- 15 oz red kidney beans canned, drained and rinsed well
- 2 1/2 cups yellow wax beans chopped in to 2-inch pieces
- 1/3-1/2 small red onion sliced in to 2-inch pieces
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 6 Tbsp white sugar
- 4 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil or canola or other neutral tasting oil
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp lime zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook wax beans (or if using canned wax beans, rinse with the other beans as below): Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a bit of salt. Add chopped fresh yellow wax beans. Reduce heat slightly and gently boil until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and then immediately run under cold running water until cooled. Drain well and set aside.
Rinse canned beans well in a colander under running cold water. Drain well and add to a large bowl. Add cooked and cooled yellow wax beans. Add chopped red onion.
Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients and whisking well to combine. Pour over beans and onion and toss to combine well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or longer. Keeps well in the fridge if made ahead. To serve, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 442mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 12.3mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.8mg