Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Pita Wrap
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 26 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
An delicious pita wrap, made easy by starting with pre-cooked, supermarket rotisserie chicken.
Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Shawarma Spice Blend:
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 rotisserie chicken chicken removed and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small red onion halved, very thinly sliced
- 1 large English seedless cucumber cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 4 radishes trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mixed tender herbs torn mint leaves, parsley leaves etc
- 1 cup tender greens such as spring mix or baby greens
- 6 white pitas with pockets warmed
- Hot sauce for serving
Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing together the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside or cover and refrigerate if making ahead.
Prepare the spice mix by combining all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat butter and vegetable oil in a large (12-inch) non-stick skillet. As soon as butter is melted, add the spice mix and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the cooked, shredded chicken and toss to coat. Remove to a large bowl. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and toss to combine.
Prepare vegetables and toss in a large bowl. Add vinegar and stir to combine. Toss with tender herbs. Set aside.
Cut six 10-inch squares of aluminum foil and six 10-inch squares of parchment paper. Set aside.
To serve: Cut 1" off the top of each pita and stuff the cut piece back in to the pita pocket, gently working it all the way down to the bottom. Spread some of the yogurt sauce inside each pita, being careful no to tear the sides. Add some tender greens in the centre. Top with some chicken and then some of the vegetable mixture, keeping it in the centre as much as possible. Take 1 piece of foil and lay a piece of the parchment paper on top. Lay pita on parchment, with about 1-inch of the top of the pita hanging off the wrap. Fold the edges of the pita in and holding it wrapped with one hand, use the other hand to wrap to secure the shape. Serve with hot sauce, if desired and remaining yogurt sauce. (Note: If making ahead, you can wrap the pita entirely to both secure and preserve. Refrigerate until eating.
Calories: 602kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 433mg | Potassium: 558mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 4.4mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 3.2mg