This chicken shawarma wrap is made easy, as it start with already cooked rotisserie chicken, combined with shawarma spices and lots of veggies, all wrapped up in a pita bread.
In the Summer, I love to make use of ready-to-go supermarket rotisserie chickens as a great meal starter. They are both handy and economical, too. I am always amazed by how much meat comes off of those little chickens! It works beautifully for a no-cook Summer meal with chicken.
For these Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Pita Wraps, the chicken gets tossed with a great combination of spices and it flash heated in a skillet to infuse the flavours. And that’s all the cooking this one needs – just about 1 minute in a skillet.
To go with the flavourful chicken is matchstick carrots, radishes and cucumber, red onion slices, some leafy greens and a lemon and garlic yogurt sauce. To keep this delicious wrap quick and easy, check out my tips below for how to easily matchstick the vegetables!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Rotisserie Chicken – While I started here with a pre-cooked, supermarket rotisserie chicken, you can start with any cooked chicken (or turkey). Simply shred and heat in the skillet with the spices.
Greens – you can use any baby greens or lettuce, or baby spinach.
Tender Herbs – Fresh herbs really brighten the flavour of this Shawarma Pita. Mint, parsley or cilantro are all good options.
How to cut vegetables into matchsticks
There are two great ways to quickly and easily cut vegetables in to matchsticks:
- Use a mandonline to slice vegetables in to 1/8-1/4 inch slices, then stack them up and use a knife to cut in to 1/8-1/4 inch slices.
- Use a sharp knife to cut vegetables in to extreme diagonal slices or planks. Stack them up and use a knife to cup in to 1/8-1/4 inch slices.
You’ll notice the pita wrap is wrapped in both parchment and foil. Using both is recommended. The parchment makes a great inner layer, next to the food, while the firmness of the foil works to keep the pita wrap tightly wrapped. To do this, cut parchment and foil squares about 10-12 inches square. Lay a square of foil on the counter, then top with a square of parchment. Lay the wrapped sandwich on top, so that a few inches of the sandwich hangs over the edge, then wrap the bottom of the sandwich tightly. Simply fold back as you eat :)
Storing and Freezing
The shawarma will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or can be frozen up to 3 months.
Get the Recipe: Rotisserie Chicken Shawarma Pita Wrap
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Shawarma Spice Blend:
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoons vegetable oil, or other neutral-tasting cooking oil
- 1 rotisserie chicken, chicken removed and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, halved, very thinly sliced
- 1 large English seedless cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 4 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mixed tender herbs, torn mint leaves, parsley leaves etc
- 1 cup tender greens, such as spring mix or baby greens
- 6 white pitas with pockets, warmed
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing together the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside or cover and refrigerate if making ahead.
- Prepare the spice mix by combining all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat butter and vegetable oil in a large (12-inch) non-stick skillet. As soon as butter is melted, add the spice mix and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the cooked, shredded chicken and toss to coat. Remove to a large bowl. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Prepare vegetables and toss in a large bowl. Add vinegar and stir to combine. Toss with tender herbs. Set aside.
- Cut six 10-inch squares of aluminum foil and six 10-inch squares of parchment paper. Set aside.
- To serve: Cut 1" off the top of each pita and stuff the cut piece back in to the pita pocket, gently working it all the way down to the bottom. Spread some of the yogurt sauce inside each pita, being careful no to tear the sides. Add some tender greens in the centre. Top with some chicken and then some of the vegetable mixture, keeping it in the centre as much as possible. Take 1 piece of foil and lay a piece of the parchment paper on top. Lay pita on parchment, with about 1-inch of the top of the pita hanging off the wrap. Fold the edges of the pita in and holding it wrapped with one hand, use the other hand to wrap to secure the shape. Serve with hot sauce, if desired and remaining yogurt sauce. (Note: If making ahead, you can wrap the pita entirely to both secure and preserve. Refrigerate until eating.
More Sandwich Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!