This simple potato and egg salad is a Summer staple! Comes together quickly and keeps well in the fridge as a side for all the Summer meals.
This creamy potato egg salad is in heavy rotation in my kitchen every Summer. It comes together quickly and keeps well in the fridge as a great side for sandwiches for lunch or BBQ for dinner.
Cooking the eggs together with the potatoes is a real time saver!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Potatoes – mini potatoes work really well for this salad, either yellow or red, as they cook up quickly. If you don’t have mini potatoes, simply cut up a larger potato.
Eggs – I generally use 2 eggs, but sometimes I will sneak another one in as I really like the egg part :)
Green Onion – or chives
Mayonnaise – use your favourite mayonnaise or salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip).
Dijon Mustard – or regular yellow Prepared mustard.
- Add potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Generously salt the water.
- Bring potatoes to a boil, then add the eggs to the pot. Boil 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Gently remove the potatoes and eggs to a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Cover the colander with a tea towel and let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and drizzle with white vinegar.
- Shell the eggs and chop them up, then add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add the green onion to the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard to the bowl.
- Stir to combine and coat the potatoes well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
A good seasoning with salt and pepper is the key to a great potato salad. Taste your salad and if it tastes “flat”, it needs more salt!
If you’re feeling it, stir a bit of chopped gherkin pickle or dill pickle into your salad.
Making Ahead and Storing
This salad needs to be made a couple of hours ahead, as it needs to chill a bit before serving.
This potato egg salad keeps well in the fridge, well covered, for 3-4 days.
Get the Recipe: Simple Potato Egg Salad
- 1 lb mini potatoes, red or yellow
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, or Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 3-4 Tablespoons Green onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Place whole mini potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water to about 2 inches above the potatoes and add some salt to the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the eggs.
- Boil for 13-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just fork tender. Gently transfer to colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Cover the colander with a tea towel and allow to stand 10 minutes to cool a bit. Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces (I generally at least quarter, but sometimes cut into 6 pieces if larger). Drizzle the warm potatoes with the vinegar. Shell the eggs, chop and add to the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and green onion to the bowl. Stir to combine and coat potatoes well. Season generously with salt and pepper, then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- This potato egg salad will keep well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Potato Salad Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!