A great weeknight meal! This Asian Sweet and Spicy Sticky Chicken is made in one pan in about 45 minutes (including 30 minutes of just simmering away time).
My freezer always seems to have one or two packages of chicken thighs, so I have a dozen and one ways to cook them. This sticky, sweet and spicy Asian Chicken recipe is a family favourite and is a great one-pan, weeknight meal.
This one can be made with bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs or boneless/skinless, as you like. Simply cook/brown the chicken thighs in a skillet while you mix up the sauce. Then pour the sauce over-top and let it simmer away on the stove-top for another 30 minutes or so. The sauce thickens up nicely all on it’s own.
Cook’s Notes for Asian Sweet and Spicy Sticky Chicken
I like to serve this with rice and a vegetable. Bok Choy or snap peas are nice with this one, as is steamed broccoli. This would also be nice with some Asian noodles. Or skip the carbs altogether and double up on the vegetables :)
Adjust the amount of Asian Chili Garlic sauce to taste, depending on your heat tolerance. You could also use a lesser amount of Sambal Oelek.
If you don’t have Asian Chili Garlic sauce on hand, you could substitute 1-2 Tbsp. ketchup or tomato paste mixed with 1/8-1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes.
Asian Sweet and Spicy Sticky Chicken Thighs
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 bone-in or boneless chicken thighs skin on or removed
- 2/3 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed is best if you can)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp Asian Chili Garlic sauce
- 2 Tbsp white or rice vinegar
- For garnish: Sliced green onions, sesame seeds and orange zest
- In a bowl, combine the water/broth, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, Asian Chili Garlic sauce and vinegar. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dry chicken thighs and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Place in hot skillet, skin-side down if using skin-on, and cook until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 8 minutes or so. Remove chicken to a plate and discard any oil/fat in the pan.
- Add sauce to pan and bring to a light boil. Return chicken to pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, flipping chicken occasionally, until cooked through and sauce thickens and becomes syrupy, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds, sliced green onions and orange zest. Nice with rice.