I have always loved biscotti. They are the perfect side for a cup of coffee or tea. I’ve tried and made a variety of flavours over the years and enjoyed them all, but none of them could be described as a decadent treat … until now.
A delicious, double chocolate biscotti recipe, with a crushed toffee topping.
That’s exactly what my daughter called them when she tried these. “A decadent treat”. Indeed. Double chocolate biscotti, studded with toffee pieces, then topped off with a generous drizzle of chocolate and crushed toffee bars. What’s not to love?
These biscotti are not as hard as typical biscotti, but not as soft as a cookie. They are pleasantly somewhere in the middle. Let’s just say that these biscotti can be enjoyed without the need to dunk them (although feel free to do so!) They are utterly delicious and they’re perfect for when what you really want is a bit of chocolate therapy with your coffee.
I made these biscotti as written, making one large log. I have to warn you though – they’re huge! Maybe a bit more of an indulgence than I need. Next time, I’ll make them into smaller pieces, by making two smaller logs. Note that if you do this, the baking times will be less, so watch carefully. Another option for a bit smaller pieces is to cut them straight across, rather than diagonally).
I used Skor™ bars and bits for these treats. If you don’t have access to those, I think Heath bars are very similar or any toffee bits or chocolate covered toffee bars.
These biscotti would make great sweet gifts for holidays or special occasions, or just to share at the office! They keep well at room temperature or you can freeze them, if you feel the need to keep them at a safe distance :)
- Biscotti Dough:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (39g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder (could substitute instant coffee or alternately use 2 Tbsp. strong brewed coffee and omit the water below)
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/113g) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (130g) dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (150g) Skor (or Heath/Toffee) Bits
- Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 cup (175g) dark chocolate chips
- 2 Skor (or Heath/Chocolate-covered Toffee) bars, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. with rack in centre of oven. Prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Onto a large piece of parchment or waxed paper, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the espresso powder in hot water. Set aside.
- Place Skor bars in a ziploc bag and crush (I vent some frustration by whacking it with my rolling pin). Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium/high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl several times. Add the eggs one at a time, beating briefly after each addition. Scrape down the bowl. Add the espresso and mix to combine.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and Skor bits and mix to distribute through the dough.
- Place the dough onto the prepared parchment lined baking sheet. For large biscotti, form dough into a log about 3-inches wide and 16-inches long. For smaller biscotti, form into two logs about 1 1/2-inches wide and 8-inches long. Be sure to leave several inches between the logs, as they will spread.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Gently brush the top and sides of log(s) with egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (may be less for smaller logs), or until the top is firm and a tested inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool on the baking sheet, while leaving the oven on.
- Once the biscotti is cooled, remove the biscotti to a cutting board by transferring it on the parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, cut pieces diagonally into pieces about 3/4-1 inch thick. Transfer the biscotti back to the baking sheet using the parchment paper to lift them again and return to the oven to bake for an additional 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once biscotti are cooled, melt chocolate chips in the microwave (about 60 seconds) or in a small saucepan over low/medium heat. Drizzle some of the chocolate along the top of each biscotti, allowing some to drip down the sides. After you've done 3 or 4, top with some of the crushed Skor bars. Continue until all biscotti are topped. Transfer the baking sheet with the all the biscotti into the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, to set the chocolate. After that, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.