This sheet-pan chicken dinner recipe is perfect for an easy and delicious dinner. This one features honey mustard chicken thighs, carrots, parsnips and mini potatoes, all tossed in a honey mustard marinade and roasted together on a sheet pan!
I have developed a fondness for the sheet-pan chicken dinner, partly because of how easy they are, but also because I just love roasted vegetables. There is truly no better way to enjoy vegetables, in my opinion :) This sheet-pan dinner, adapted from a Delicious magazine recipe, features flavourful skin-on/bone-in chicken thighs, together with carrots, parsnips and mini red potatoes. They are all tossed in a honey mustard marinade and roasted until beautifully caramelized.
The honey in the marinade helps to caramelize both the chicken and the vegetables, while the bit of grainy mustard provides an extra bit of flavour. (The mustard flavour is fairly subtle, so even kids will like this one, I think). Perfect for an easy weeknight meal, with lots of vegetables as a bonus.
Be sure to browse the “Cook’s Notes” below the recipe as well, for some additional thoughts and tips for this recipe.
- Olive oil for greasing baking sheets or foil
- 4 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 10-12 mini red potatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. wholegrain mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus slices for garnish, if desired
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5-6 skin-on/bone-in chicken thighs
- Heat the oven to 400° F. with racks in upper and lower third of oven (unless your sheet pans will fit on one rack side-by-side). Rub olive oil onto 2 baking sheets with oil (or line with aluminum foil and oil the foil, for easy clean up!). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, honey, thyme and plenty of salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the chicken and prepared vegetables in the marinade, until well coated, then divide evenly between the two baking trays, placing the chicken thighs skin side up. (Dividing the mixture out between two pans gives the chicken and vegetables bit of space as they cook, so they can brown up nicely.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove both sheet pans from the oven and flip the carrots, parsnips and potatoes over so they can brown on the other side. Leave the chicken as is. Return to the oven changing oven rack positions if you are using two racks, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are caramelized and the chicken juices run clear.
- Serve garnished with additional thyme sprigs or leaves and lemon slices, if desired.
Sheet-pan dinners are ideal weeknight meals. With just a little chopping, a little tossing, then on to a sheet-pan to roast away in the oven, when it’s done, your meat, vegetables and potatoes are all ready with just one (or two :) pans!
Just a quick note about my actual sheet pans. A while back I picked up two sheet pans that are a bit smaller than usual, but the absolute best thing about them is that they fit side-by-side into my oven, so I don’t have to do the upper/lower rack thing. I LOVE that and wished I’d done it years ago. So handy for dishes like this, as well as cookies etc.
I didn’t line my sheet pans with foil this time, but only because foil doesn’t translate well in photographs. I would do so normally though, to make clean up quick and easy.
I wanted to have some green in my sheet pan dinner, but on the day I went to the grocery store the offering of broccoli was looking pretty ratty and there was no broccolini (tender-stem broccoli) either. It would make a great addition to this dish though, if you like.
Any whole grain mustard is fine (mustard with whole mustard seeds in it). I love Maille’s a l’ancienne.
You might also enjoy … my Spicy Orange Roasted Salmon with Bok Choy, another quick and easy sheet-pan dinner.
Before you go …
Did you know you can subscribe to Seasons and Suppers by email? Join my mailing list to get instant email notification of new posts, newsletters and more! Simply fill in your email address below to get started …