This quick and easy homemade tomato soup is made with canned tomatoes and is ready in just 30 minutes! Try it served with delicious goat cheese toast.
Homemade tomato soup is one of my favourite soups, and this is my favourite quick and easy homemade tomato soup recipe.
I love that this tomato soup is made with canned tomatoes, so it’s easy to make up and enjoy any time of year. I use my best canned tomatoes for this one, since tomatoes are, of course, the star here.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Canned Tomatoes – Use the best canned tomatoes you can find, as tomatoes are the star of this soup. You can never go wrong with San Marzano canned tomatoes.
Heavy Cream – this would be 35% b.f. whipping cream and is recommended for the creamiest soup. Heavy cream is also less likely to split when it comes into contact with acidic tomatoes. That said, you could use a lighter cream, though the soup will not be as thick.
Be sure to use a non-reactive pan to cook your tomato soup. Non-reactive pans are made of is made of stainless steel, glass, or glazed ceramic. Avoid reactive pans, made of aluminum, cast-iron or copper.
Up the veggie ratio by including some very finely diced carrot and/or celery with the onion. (You may need or want to lightly puree the soup with an immersion blender with the added vegetables).
As with all soups, be sure to taste the soup at the end of cooking and add additional salt, as needed. If the soup tastes “flat”, it needs more salt!
Get the Recipe: Quick and Easy Tomato Soup with Canned Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 5 cups canned whole tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup chicken broth, or water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, can use lighter cream, but soup will be less thick
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, omit if you don't want any heat
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
Goat Cheese Toast (an optional but delicious addition):
- 4 - 6 slices crusty bread
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the soup: In a large saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until the the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, cream, salt, red pepper flakes, celery seed, oregano, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree in using an immersion blender or in small batches in the container of a blender. Return the soup to the pot and reheat to a simmer, seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper.
- For the goat cheese toast: Preheat your oven to broil, with a rack about 4 inches below the heat. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place your bread slices onto a baking sheet and toast one side of the bread under the broiler until golden. Turn the bread over and toast the other side lightly. Remove from oven. Spoon some of the goat cheese mixture onto the bread (you can leave it is chunks or spread it smooth, as you like) and return to the broiler, watching closely so the bread doesn't burn. Once bread is toasted perfectly, move baking sheet to a lower rack and turn oven off to continue to warm cheese for a bit, without burning the toast. When the soup is ready, remove toast from oven and cut slices in half diagonally.
- To serve, spoon soup into bowl and place two slices of goat cheese toast onto the side of the bowl, with the ends sitting in the soup. Garnish with some freshly ground pepper and/or a bit of additional thyme.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!