This Asparagus Cacio e Pepe channels the famous pasta – with Cheese and Pepper. Easy and delicious way to enjoy Spring asparagus!
If you are a fan of the famous cheese and pepper pasta version, you will love this Asparagus Cacio e Pepe. It’s both easy and delicious and a great way to enjoy Spring asparagus. I thought I would share this one last recipe that might be useful for anyone looking for an addition to their Easter meal.
The sauce cooks up quickly on the stove-top as a simple white sauce, filled with Parmesan and freshly ground pepper. Pour over your asparagus on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Pop under the broiler to brown it up if you like and enjoy.
Wishing all those that are celebrating a wonderful Easter weekend! I’ll see you on the other side :)
Cook’s Notes for Asparagus Cacio e Pepe
You can make the sauce ahead if you like, and refrigerate. Since the sauce with thicken in the fridge, you’ll want to re-warm the sauce a bit before using, so that it pours nicely overtop of the asparagus. You could do this in the microwave, if you like.
Asparagus Cacio e Pepe
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups shredded Parmesan
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 425F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, pepper and salt.
- Lay asparagus in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and season with some salt and pepper. Pour sauce over the middle of the spears, from side to side, leaving the top and bottom of the asparagus spears exposed. Roast in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until asparagus is just tender. Place pan under the broiler for a minute or so to brown up the cheeses sauce.
- Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes. Using a spatula, carefully transfer asparagus (with sauce) to a serving plate.