This quick and easy chicken orzo soup is one that will cure what ails you. Ready in just about 30 minutes, too.
If you're looking for a soup that you can get on the table fast, this is it! If you're looking for a soup that will cure what ails you, this is also it! This is soul soothing soup, filled with vegetables, a delicious broth, orzo pasta and a touch of lemon.
A quick and easy chicken orzo soup, loaded with vegetables and just a touch of lemon juice to brighten up the flavours.
Best of all? This soup is ready in just 30 minutes! It is also dairy-free. Since the orzo cooks in the broth, it adds a bit of texture to the broth that mimics creaminess, without the need for cream.
Ingredient Notes for Chicken Orzo Soup
Chicken: You can start with fresh chicken and easily and quickly cook it up with the onions and carrots at the start of the soup. If you happen to have leftover cooked chicken or you'd like to start with a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Simply add diced cooked chicken with the broth.
Spinach: Feel free to substitute any green you like, such as kale or chard.
Lemon: Fresh lemon juice makes all the difference here, if you have some on hand.
Orzo: If you don't have orzo on hand, substitute white or brown rice or another small pasta.
Cook's Notes for Chicken Orzo Soup
While I've used carrots, spinach and corn here, you can use any vegetables you like in this soup.
Top Tip! Be sure to taste and season your soup well at the end of cooking. Salting brings all the great favours of this soup together.
Leftover soup will thicken as it sits in the fridge, as the orzo will continue to soak up the broth as it sits. You can thin it out with a little more chicken broth or just enjoy it in its more stew-like form.
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
Chicken Orzo Soup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2/3 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 breasts)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo or other small pasta or even rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cups water
- 1 fresh thyme sprig or a pinch of dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach or other green, such as chopped bok choy
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add oil to large soup pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion and chicken. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, water, parsley and thyme. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and corn and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the orzo is cooked.
- Discard thyme sprig, if used. Add the spinach and lemon juice. Cook for one minute to wilt the spinach. Taste and add salt, and pepper, if necessary. If soup is too thick, you can thin it with a bit more chicken broth or water, if necessary. Serve and enjoy!