Delicious Chunky Monkey Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter muffins, with peanut butter and big chunks of chocolate.
I tend to make muffins fairly often. They are great to have on the counter for snacks and my husband loves to take them with his lunch. And while I generally try to keep some baked goods out of sight (and out of mind), I find that muffins are quite safely left out around me, as they don't really tempt me much at all. Until now.
I have to confess, I had absolutely no ability to resist when it came to these Chunky Monkey Muffins. The flavour combination of banana and peanut butter was on point and well, anything with big chocolate chunks is never a bad thing in my books. If you're looking for a really fabulous muffin, I urge you to give these a try :)
These muffins are nice and moist and keep well for several days when kept in an airtight container at room temperature. They would also freeze well, for longer storage.
I used regular pantry peanut butter for my muffins (Skippy, to be exact :) I haven't tested these with natural peanut butter, though I suspect it would work just fine. Let me know if you try it! As for the bananas, the more ripe they are, the better the flavour!
While you could use regular chocolate chips in these muffins, I highly recommend picking up some chocolate chunks. The generous pieces of chocolate are a big part of the appeal of these muffins (together with the banana and peanut butter).
I haven't tried these muffins without paper liners, but they don't stick to the liners much at all, so I'm thinking you may do fine with just a generous greasing of the muffins cups, if you don't have liners.
In case you're wondering, I sprinkled smashed up raw sugar cubes on my muffins. I had wanted to use turbinado sugar, but I was out, so it was the next best thing :)
Chunky Monkey Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed really ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup peanut butter*
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks**
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar, for sprinkling before baking.
- Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, peanut butter, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Divide batter between the 10 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with remaining white sugar. Fill any empty muffin cups 1/2 full with water.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to finish cooling on wire racks.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.