Easy and delicious, these baked goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts combine tangy goat cheese with sun dried tomatoes and basil.
These goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts are a quick and easy, but also delicious dinner. If you are a goat cheese lover, this one’s for you! You’ll love that these are baked, so they cook entirely in the oven!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Chicken – you’ll need boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. The exact size isn’t important, but they should be the full-sized chicken breasts.
Goat Cheese – I usually just crumble goat cheese from a log, but you could also use the already crumbled goat cheese here.
Sun dried tomatoes – I love the sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, as I think they have more flavour. You could also use dried sun dried tomatoes and re-hydrate them in hot water before using.
Bread Crumbs – I love the Italian seasoned dried bread crumbs that are usually found in the bread section at the grocery store. Regular, seasoned dried bread crumbs will also work. You can just season up plain breadcrumbs with some basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper etc., if you like.
Fresh basil – it’s hard to beat fresh basil, but if you are out, dried basil leaves will work here, as well.
It’s up to you how much stuffing you put into your chicken. I like to stuff them well, for the best flavour with each bite, so I balance that by cutting the breast in half and making each chicken breast into two servings.
I had a bit of the filling left and not being one to waste, I spooned it onto the top after the chicken was baked and the filling had shrunk a bit. I found the bit of fresh goat cheese a nice contrast with the baked goat cheese filling, so I’d definitely do that again!
Get the Recipe: Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned dried bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoons oil-packed sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Make the filling by stirring together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Stand chicken breast on it's side. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit in the top of the chicken breast, about 1/2 of the way into the breast and leaving 3/4-inch at either end of the slit. Repeat with the other chicken breast. Divide the filling between the two chicken breasts, filling the pocket. *I like to save a little bit of the filling to spoon on after cooking, since I love the combination of the cooked goat cheese with a little bit of fresh.
- Flatten the breasts slightly. Spread bread crumbs on a plate. Brush the chicken breast with olive oil, then gently press the bottom and sides of the chicken breast into the bread crumbs. Place onto a baking sheet. Repeat with second chicken breast.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until thickest part of the chicken registers 165F using an instant read thermometer. Remove from oven. If you saved a little of the filling, divide between the two. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!