These souvlaki skewers is the perfect grilled dinner! With lovely pork souvlaki, delicious Halloumi cheese, lots of peppers and an easy, homemade tzatziki sauce!
If you are looking for a delicious grilled dinner, look no further than these delicious pork souvlaki skewers, served with Halloumi Pepper Skewers. Perfect for entertaining or a special Summer dinner off the grill.
Not familiar with Halloumi Cheese? It's a wonderful cheese! I would describe it as having the flavour and saltiness of feta cheese, but unlike feta, which is crumbly, Halloumi cheese is moist and solid, with the squeak of cheese curds :) Like feta though, Halloumi cheese doesn't melt. It warms and grills, but stays solid. That makes Halloumi cheese perfect for the grill and great for skewering. Halloumi cheese is very mild in flavour, so it's a great choice for family friendly eating. Look for Halloumi cheese made from 100% Canadian milk in the cheese section of your local supermarket (just look for the blue Dairy Farmers of Canada logo on the package!).
If you'd like to try this recipe outside of outdoor BBQ season, simply roast of the pork skewers in a 425F. oven for 10-15 minutes, then finish together with the Halloumi skewers on the stove top in a grill pan.
Pork Souvlaki with Halloumi Pepper Skewers
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, 500 g
- 1/4 cup lemon, 60 ml
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves, 10 ml
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt, 1 ml
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, cored, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated unpeeled English cucumber, 125 ml
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style or Balkan-style, 125 ml
- 2 tsp lemon juice, 10 ml
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt, 1 ml
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint, (optional), 30 ml
Halloumi & Red Pepper Skewers:
- 2 slices Canadian Halloumi, each 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 medium skewers
- Pork: Cut pork into chunks, about 1½ inches (4 cm) in size. Place in a medium bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic, oregano and pepper; stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Tzatziki: Using your hands, squeeze grated cucumber to remove all cucumber liquid. Place cucumber in a bowl with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt and mint. Stir. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Halloumi & Red Pepper Skewers: Just before grilling, prepare skewers by cutting Halloumi slices into bite-size pieces (you will need 8 pieces). Randomly thread Halloumi onto 4 skewers with red pepper pieces.
- Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Remove pork from marinade; thread onto 4 skewers with orange pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Barbecue for 10 min, turning occasionally and brushing with marinade until cooked through. Place Halloumi skewers on barbecue for the last 3 min of grilling pork. Turn occasionally until peppers and Halloumi are grilled. Serve drizzled with tzatziki or serve tzatziki on the side.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.