This Sun Dried Tomato Pasta is in regular rotation here. It is quick, easy, economical and delicious! It’s also very adaptable to variations, for an always satisfying pasta dinner.
Why you’ll love this easy pasta sauce!
- This sun dried tomato pasta is ready in about 30 minutes!
- This meatless pasta dinner is an economical dish. Simply add a simple salad or some roasted vegetables to complete the meal.
- That said, you can easily add cooked chicken or shrimp to add a protein, if you like.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Pasta – use any shape pasta you have or enjoy. I’ve used Bucatini here.
Sun Dried Tomatoes – this pasta works best with sun dried tomatoes packed with oil. I usually start with a 210ml/4oz jar of sun dried tomatoes in oil. I use all the sun dried tomatoes and some of the oil, then refrigerate the remaining oil to use for other things like salad dressing, for example.
If you only have dry sun dried tomatoes, be sure to re-hydrate well and coat with a bit of olive oil before processing.
Basil – it’s hard to beat fresh basil in this pasta, but if you don’t have any on hand, dried basil is just fine.
- Add a protein to this dish! The flavours here pair really well with cooked chicken or shrimp.
- Simply add more or less cream or change the type of cream used, to dial this dish up or down.
Get the Recipe: Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 8 oz. pasta, 225g
- 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, but reserving oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 6-8 leaves basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, optional
- 2 teaspoons reserved sun dried tomato oil, or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup pasta boiling water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup half and half cream (10% b.f.), or 1/3-1/2 cup heavy, whipping cream
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Additional fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Additional Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook pasta in a large pot of well salted boiling water until al dente. DO NOT DRAIN before reserving about 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, add the drained sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil leaves and tomato paste to a food processor. Process until the mixture is broken down into a mixture of small chunks.
- In a skillet, heat a teaspoon or two of the reserved sun dried tomato oil over medium heat. *You can refrigerate any remaining sun dried tomato oil and use for other purposes, as well. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, if using and cook 45-60 seconds until fragrant. Do not brown. Add processed sun dried tomato mixture and stir together with the garlic. Turn off heat under skillet until pasta is ready.
- When pasta is ready, scoop out about 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water and set aside. Drain pasta and transfer pasta to skillet with sun dried tomato mixture. Add 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and cook over medium heat until the sun dried tomato mixture has loosened well. Add a bit more pasta cooking water, if needed. Add the cream and stir in. Cook to warm through. Add the basil and Parmesan cheese, along with some salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately garnished with additional fresh basil and Shredded Parmesan.
More pasta recipes to love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!