This strawberry shortcake muffins recipe has all the flavours of strawberry shortcake … in muffin form!
I’ve been making these delicious muffins for a couple of years – every strawberry season. Since strawberries are just ready for picking here in Muskoka this week, it was time! My daughter calls these muffins “hella good”, which about as good as it gets in 17-year-old speak.
These muffins are made with heavy cream and somewhat unusually, by cutting butter in to the flour and sugar, much like a biscuit. The result is a muffin that has the taste of shortcake, a wonderful moist crumb and big chunks of strawberry. They truly are strawberry shortcake in muffin form.
I splurge on these and use the heavy cream. You can also use a lighter cream, if you like. As for the strawberries, I like them with big chunks, but a smaller dice also works.
These muffins are really moist, so they are best eaten on the day they are baked. If you can’t eat them all the first day, pop them in the freezer to enjoy later. They freeze beautifully!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%), Table Cream (18%) or Half and Half Cream(10%)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries (they don't have to be too small)
- Icing (Confectioners) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until it is in small pea-size pieces.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg, vanilla and cream. Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir with a spoon just until blended. Gently mix in the diced strawberries.
- Spoon batter in to prepared muffin cups, making sure each muffin has some strawberries in it and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan before removing, as they are very soft while warm. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar once cooled.