These Loaded Smashed Potatoes have the flavours of loaded baked potatoes in one easy skillet dish. Perfect for a BBQ or even making on the BBQ.
This is a quick, easy and cheesy potato dish, perfect for summer BBQs. The potatoes get a head-start in the microwave (or you can boil them), so they are mostly cooked before they hit the skillet. All that’s left to do then is to crisp up the potatoes in the skillet and top them with cheese, bacon and sour cream.
You can any type of potato for this one, but you’ll need smaller potatoes – 5 or 6. When you place them in the skillet, be sure not to crowd the pan. Leave a couple of inches to the side of each one, so they’ll have room to expand when they are smashed (that way they aren’t too thick).
Cook’s Notes for Loaded Smashed Potatoes
You can bake this dish in the oven, or if you’d rather (or it’s too hot to turn on the oven), finish the dish on the BBQ. Simply place skillet on to a hot grill and close the lid until the potatoes are crispy and then, until the cheese melts.
Feel free to get creative with your toppings to change this up any way you’d like!
Loaded Smashed Potato Skillet
- 6 small potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil DIVIDED
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Wash your potatoes, if necessary, and poke a few times with a knife. Place on to a microwave safe plate and microwave until mostly cooked, about 10 minutes. (You can also boil them to this point, if you prefer. Allow to dry before placing in skillet).
- Preheat oven to 425° Place 1 Tbsp. oil in bottom of skillet and brush a bit up the side. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 1 tsp. of kosher salt. Place pre-cooked potatoes in to skillet and place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until very tender. Remove skillet from oven and, using a potato masher, smash each of the potatoes, until quite thin. Place a small pat of butter on top of each potato and season with salt and pepper. Brush the outside of the potatoes with the remain 1/2 Tbsp. of oil. Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or so, or until they crisp up. Remove from oven again and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with dollops of sour cream and sliced green onion.