A delicious arugula corn and tomato salad with grilled corn, tomatoes and bacon, all tossed with a tomato basil vinaigrette.
Grilled corn, cherry tomatoes, arugula, bacon and jalapeño combine with a flavourful tomato-basil vinaigrette, for a colourful and delicious salad, perfect for Summer eating.The bacon in this salad adds great texture and salty notes, but you can make this salad vegetarian by replacing the bacon with toasted walnuts.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Corn – ideal for this salad would be grilled corn, from cobs of corn that have been grilled on a BBQ and then the kernels are removed. If you don’t have a BBQ or it’s not BBQ season, scatter corn on a baking sheet and pop under the broiler until lightly browned in spots. (You could use thawed frozen corn for the broiler method).
Tomatoes – cherry tomatoes are perfect for this salad. You could use multi-coloured tomatoes, but I love the contrast of red with the yellow and green.
Arugula – I love arugula, but if you’re not a fan, baby spinach is a great substitution.
Be sure to dress your salad just before serving, to ensure the arugula and bacon don’t get soggy. The vinaigrette recipe makes more dressing than you’ll need for one salad. The leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
The Tomato Basil Vinaigrette also makes a great marinade/basting sauce for grilled chicken.
Get the Recipe: Arugula Corn Tomato Salad
Tomato Basil Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/3 small jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and roughly chopped (you'll use the remaining 2/3 in the salad)
- 1/2 medium tomato, seeds and pulp removed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3-4 cups grilled corn kernels, removed from 4 grilled cobs of corn
- 2/3 small jalapeno, seeds and core removed and finely diced
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 handfuls baby arugula
- Tomato Basil Vinaigrette, recipe above
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the Tomato Basil Vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until chopped and well combined. Taste, add salt and pepper and adjust as necessary, adding more olive oil if needed. (This vinaigrette is should not be overly acidic, so the flavours of the basil, tomato and jalapeno aren't over-powered.) Place into a jar and refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare the Salad: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Drizzle with some of the Tomato Basil Vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Garnish with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper, to taste.
More Fabulous Summer Salads to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!