This 10-Minute Spicy Peanut Udon Noodles is perfect for those times when only warm, spicy, noodles will do. And since they’re ready in just 10 minutes, that can be just about any time!
There is nothing like a big bowl of spicy noodles! They just seem to hit the spot when only carbs will do :) Having this little recipe in your back pocket means that all that ever stands between you and a bowl of these is 10 minutes.
These noodles use the ever handy soft udon noodles that you can buy in vacuum packed individual portions. They don’t need any boiling, so that means that all there is to do is mix up the sauce, cut a few vegetables, fire up the wok and stir it all together.
The spice in these noodles comes from chilli oil. Chilli oil can be found in with the Asian foods at most groceries, or it’s easy to find online at Amazon etc. If you can’t find any, you can just use any Asian sauce that will add some chilli heat – Asian Chilli Garlic Sauce, Sambal Oelek or even Sriracha.
Cook’s Notes for 10-Minute Spicy Peanut Udon Noodles
For the peanut butter, you can use smooth or crunchy. I usually just have smooth around, so I add finely chopped peanuts to sauce. If you are starting with crunchy peanut butter, you can skip them.
Look for the small long red Thai peppers to use in this one. They pack some heat, too, but in a good way :)
Love udon noodles? You might also enjoy … my 15 Minute Spicy Udon and Vegetables stir fry recipe.
10-Minute Spicy Peanut Udon Noodles
- 2 pkgs soft vacuum-packed udon noodles (each package should be about 200g/7 oz.
- 5 Tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp chilli oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
For the Stir Fry:
- 1-2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 small long red chilli pepper, finely sliced
- 1 green onion, green part only, sliced diagonally
- (Optional) 1-2 Tbsp. finely chopped peanuts, if you used smooth peanut butter)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a hot wok, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, most of the red chilli and green onion slices (reserve a bit of both, for garnish). Cook, stirring, until fragrant and just beginning to soften, 30-45 seconds. Add sauce and cook until warmed. Add udon noodles. Stir to combine. Cook, adding additional 1-2 Tbsp. hot water as needed, to loosen the sauce so it coats the noodles well.
- Spoon noodles in to bowl. Garnish with reserved green onion and red chilli slices, additional chopped peanuts and/or sesame seeds.