This Apple Almond Cake is a lovely moist cake, flavoured with almonds and topped with apples and almonds.
If you subscribe to my newsletter, you already know that I've declared it "Fall" already. Not only does it feel like Fall outside, I am baking with apples, so it must surely be Fall, right?
So if you want to join with me and welcome Fall by baking with almonds, this Apple Almond Cake is a lovely place to start. I loved this cake, that's very much in the spirit of a coffee cake. It's perfect in the morning, with afternoon tea or warm it up and enjoy it with a scoop of ice cream for dessert.
Cook's Notes for Apple Almond Cake
I left my cake in the oven a little longer than I should have, hoping to get some colour on the top of the cake (just because I thought it would look nicer). You probably don't want to do that. Just note that this cake won't be super golden when it's done. Just be sure and test a bit of the cake in the centre for doneness starting at about 60 minutes of baking time. A sprinkle of cinnamon on top might not be a bad addition, either.
I have dark springform pans, which I curse every time I pop a cake out of them. One day I'll replace them with light ones, but until then, I need to remember that they will cook more quickly and that I should probably reduce the temperature a little bit to prevent the outside edges from getting dark. I'm a slow learner though. If you have dark pans too, you might want to bake this one at 330F-ish instead.
You can use any type of apple here, but something on the sweeter side is best (as opposed to a tart Granny Smith, for example). Use whatever you like or looks great at the market.
Ground almonds, almond flour or food processed blanched almonds will all work for the cake.
Apple Almond Cake
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp rum, optional
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup ground almonds, or almond flour
- 1 cup + 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
For the topping:
- 3 medium apples
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Icing/confectioners' sugar
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, vanilla, a pinch of salt and a few drops of rum, if using. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the baking powder, ground almonds and flour and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared springform pan and spread level.
- Peel apples and cut into quarters. Cut out the core from each quarter and discard. Delete the core. Using a sharp knife, cut 4 deep slices into each quarter, cutting almost, but not all the way through. Press sliced apple quarters into the top of the batter, placing about 8 around the outside and 3 in the middle. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 60 - 70 minutes, or until the center cake tests clean with a cake tester min.
- Cool the cake, the sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.
More Apple Cakes from the Seasons and Suppers Archives