These Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies prove that the only thing better than chocolate chip cookies, are chocolate chip cookies with a brownie inside!
There is a bakery in my area that sells Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies and I’ve always thought it was the most perfect, ultimate chocolate treat. I mean why decide between brownies and chocolate chip cookies when you can have both in one beautiful and delicious cookie?! And since they are only open Summers, I was determined to recreate them at home. So recreate them I did!
Sure, it’s a bit of extra work and certainly not something that I’d recommend for regular consumption, but for those times that you want something really indulgent, these cookies are pretty hard to beat.
And they freeze well, so they can be tucked away for some chocolate therapy as needed :)
Cook’s Notes for Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
You could actually use any brownie recipe or any chocolate chip cookie recipe to make these cookies. If you have a favourite of either or both, feel free to use that instead. When it comes to the brownies, be sure to cook them only until about 75%-80% cooked, before removing them from the oven and refrigerating.
The refrigeration period is necessary to firm up and cut the brownies, since they are being undercooked, so be sure to allow the extra time for cooling. I found making the brownies the night before worked really well as they come together quickly and have a short baking time. Then I can just grab them from the fridge when I’m ready to bake the cookies.
You can bake the cookies to the level of “done-ness” that you prefer for chocolate chip cookies. I like them on the softer, just barely cooked side, while my husband prefers golden and crispy. Simply leave in the oven a few more minutes, if you like.
Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe adapted from All Recipes. Brownie recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
Chocolate Chip Cookies Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt reduce if using salted butter
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips depending on how chocolatey you'd like your cookies
- Make the brownies: Heat oven to 350°F. and line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, extending it up the sides to use as handles to remove from the pan later.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate and butter together in microwave until only a couple unmelted bits remain, about 1 minute. Alternately, place chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water to melt. Whisk in sugar, then eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and salt. Stir in flour just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes, then cover pan with foil and refrigerate until completely cool, about 2-3 hours, or try making the night before and refrigerating overnight.
- Once cooled completely, remove from fridge and lift brownies out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into approximately 1-inch x 1-inch squares. Set aside while you make the chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Make the chocolate chip cookie dough: Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In another medium bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients just until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- To prepare the cookies: take a heaping tablespoon of chocolate chip cookie dough and flatten it into a round about 3-inches in diameter. Place a piece of cut brownie and place it in the middle of the round. Make a second round of cookie dough and place over-top, pressing down the edges to encase the brownie. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with more cookies, leaving several inches in between to allow room for spreading as they cook.
- Bake in preheated 325F. oven until just set and the edges are just golden. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes then transferring to cooling racks to cool completely. Repeat with additional batches.