Delicious, chewy, salted double chocolate cookies, flavoured with both cocoa and chopped chocolate. Topped with a sprinkling of flaky salt.
I am a fan of simple cookies and this one is just that. Easy and quick to make and simply loaded with chocolate (both cocoa powder and chopped dark chocolate). Topped with a sprinkling of flaked salt, they have that perfect sweet and salty experience.
These would be a great addition to a holiday cookie tray or just to tuck away for some chocolate therapy, as needed. Perfect now or throughout the year, too.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Dutch-processed cocoa – I haven’t tested these with natural cocoa. It may work just fine, I just can’t say for sure :)
Flaked salt – I used Fleur de Sel here. Maldon’s flaked salt is another good option. Any flaked salt will work fine. If you only have a coarse salt, like Kosher, you probably want to reduce the amount slightly, as the salt flavour is a bit more intense. If you only have fine salt, reduce the amount even more.
Dark brown sugar – also known as “Old Fashioned” brown sugar. If you only have light (golden) brown sugar, go ahead and use that. The flavour won’t be quite as deep, but it will work fine.
Unsalted butter – Unsalted butter is recommended. If you only have salted butter, you will need to reduce the amount of added salt in the cookie batter as noted in the Recipe Card.
Dark chocolate – I used a bar of 70% cacao dark chocolate. A chopped bar tends to work better, as it is easier to mix into the dough. If you only have dark chocolate chips, go ahead and use those.
The number one tip for these cookies is not to over-bake them. You want to take them out of the oven when the centres still look soft. The cookies will set more once they cool.
Storing and Freezing
Store baked cookies in an airtight container for about a week. You can also freeze baked cookies up to 2 months.
You can also freeze the formed dough balls and bake right from the freezer. Just allow an extra minute or so baking time. Great for having a bit of chocolate anytime! You can also freeze the baked cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt, reduce to 1/2 tsp if using salted butter or if using fine salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate, about 70-75% cacao, finely chopped (100g)
For topping before baking:
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt, such as Fleur de Sel, Maldon's etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F (not fan-assisted), with rack in centre of oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown and white sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl once or twice. Add the egg and vanilla and mix in. Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out balls of dough and plate 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Top with a sprinkling of flaked salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, being sure not to over-bake. Cookies may look soft in the centre still, but that is fine. They will set further as they cool. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled. Will keep well for about a week or freeze for longer storage. *You can also freeze the unbaked dough. Portion into dough balls and then bake from frozen, topping with salt before baking and allowing an extra minute or two of baking time.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!