If you need a quick, easy and delicious treat, this one takes a Chocolate Dutch Baby and uses it as the base for a delicious Sundae! And all in 20 minutes and with only one bowl!
Some people think that because I’m a food blogger, we must have great treats here when holidays roll around. The truth? We have great treats two weeks before the holiday rolls around! By the time the actually holiday arrives, I’ve been there and done that. I’ve moved on :)
That said, I don’t want let the day go by without a little something. So enter these Chocolate Dutch Baby Sundaes. They are dead easy, they’re made with basic pantry items, they cook up quickly and of course, they’re chocolatey delicious :) A perfect “little something” for Valentine’s.
Top your chocolate dutch baby with ice cream or whipped cream. Add a little chocolate and/or caramel sauce or get creative with what you have on hand with chocolate chips or shavings, sprinkles, cherries, toffee bits or whatever!
Of course it goes without saying I think, that an easy and delicious chocolate Dutch baby is a good idea on more than just Valentine’s Day. Tuck this easy recipe away for whenever the need for a warm chocolate treat arises.
Cook’s Notes for Chocolate Dutch Baby Sundaes
I made individual chocolate Dutch babies in my small 5-inch cast iron skillets. The recipe as written will make 3 at that size. Using the same recipe, you could make one in a 6.5-inch skillet or make 5 or 6 tiny ones using a standard muffin tin. If you’d like to make one big one in a 10-inch (top diameter) skillet, simply double the recipe.
As noted above, feel free to get creative with your toppings. Just about anything goes with chocolate, including fruit. You just can’t go wrong :)
Enjoy these warm from the oven, but do be careful of the HOT handles if using cast iron skillets.
Chocolate Dutch Baby Sundaes
- 3 Tbsp butter divided into 3 equal pieces
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp butter melted and slightly cooled
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Pecan halves
- Place skillets into oven and then preheat oven to 425F with skillets in oven.
- Meanwhile, combine all the batter ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk well until fluffy. Set aside.
- When oven is preheated, carefully remove skillets from oven (they're hot!). Add 1 Tbsp of butter to each skillet and swirl around to coat as it melts. Give batter a quick whisk, then divide evenly between the 3 skillets. Immediately place into preheated oven and bake until puffy and set, about 10 minutes (for 5-inch skillets).
- Remove from oven. Pancakes will deflate as they cool. While still warm, top with a scoop of ice cream, chocolate and caramel sauce and a scattering of pecans.
More Sweet Dutch Baby Recipes from Seasons and Suppers
Shop This Recipe
[amazon_link asins=’B00SXA2N9K,B00LJSETWM,B001KOUGU4′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’etc0fb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’53bf0ee2-1186-11e8-980d-2f64ea9f4eca’]