Hearty and filling, this is my version of the Green Goddess Sandwich, featuring spinach, avocado, goat cheese, chives, cucumber and sprouts, all between toasted grainy bread.
This week I’m all about the Summer sandwiches, using as much fresh Summer produce as I can fit between two pieces of bread! This sandwich is definitely that and let me tell you, I couldn’t have fit even one more thing in this sandwich!
My sandwich starts with a bit of grainy mustard (or Dijon, if you prefer). Next is a layer of baby spinach, followed by mashed avocado, then goat cheese (with a good bit of pepper), chives, cucumber and sunflower sprouts. The bread is a lovely 12-Grain bread that is toasted. It’s delicious, filling and a pretty guilt-free sandwich.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Bread – a nice seedy, multigrain bread is perfect for this sandwich, but any bread you have or enjoy is just fine.
Goat Cheese – if you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, cream cheese is a nice substitution.
These sandwiches keep well tightly wrapped and refrigerated.
Get the Recipe: Green Goodness Sandwich
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Baby spinach
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chives, diced
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Sprouts (pea, sunflower, alfalfa etc.)
- 2 slices Thick of grainy bread, toasted
- Prepare avocado by cutting in half, removing pit and scooping pulp in to a small bowl. Mash with a fork until just lightly chunky. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Prepare the goat cheese by adding a good amount of freshly ground pepper to the goat cheese crumbles.
- Toast bread until golden. Once toasted, butter the slices and then add a bit of grainy or Dijon mustard to one slice of each sandwich. Top the mustard with a layer of baby spinach. Top the spinach with a layer of the mashed avocado. Top the avocado with some crumbled goat cheese. Top the goat cheese with diced chives. Add a layer of cucumber and then top with a layer of sprouts. Add top slice of bread. Press down to compress slightly and cut in half diagonally to serve.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!