Leftover turkey? These open faced Turkey Melt Sandwiches are perfect for an easy and delicious lunch or dinner. These sandwiches come together quickly and can be made ahead, too!
Turkey is perfect for sandwiches, so if you find yourself with left-over turkey, this easy and delicious Turkey Melt Sandwich is a perfect use for it.
These sandwiches start with nice artisan bread (I used Cranberry and Pumpkin seed bread), topped with turkey, bacon, sliced apple and cheddar. To up the flavour, I’ve also drizzled them with an easy and delicious creamy honey mustard poppy seed sauce.
These open-faced sandwiches make a great lunch and can be made ahead and refrigerated, so they can travel to work with you or simply be enjoyed at home for a quick lunch. Simply pop in the microwave (or oven) for a few minutes to light warm and enjoy!
- You can use any bread you like for the base, but I find an oval, artisan loaf works best. I’ve used a Cranberry Pumpkin Seed loaf here, which was so nice with the toppings.
- Be sure to toast both sides of your bread well, so your sandwich is sturdy enough to be picked up to eat, if you like.
- I have used a whole slice of bacon here, but you certainly don’t need a whole slice. Half a slice per sandwich or even crumbled bacon would work just fine here.
- A nice aged white cheddar is perfect for these. The nice thing about aged cheddar is that you need less of it, as it has more flavour!
- These sandwiches are nice and sturdy once cooked, so they travel well. Take one for lunch and simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds to lightly warm and enjoy!
- I found these sandwiches also keep well in the refrigerator. Wrap them up and enjoy them from the fridge (and rewarmed in the microwave) for a couple of days.
Get the Recipe: Turkey Melt Sandwiches
- 5 slices artisan bread, oval works best (I used Cranberry Pumpkin Seed)
- 7 oz sliced turkey breast
- 3-5 slices cooked bacon
- 1 cup apples slices, from one large apple
- 1 1/4 cup shredded aged white cheddar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook your bacon until crisp (or start with ready-cooked bacon slices). Use 1/2 - 1 slice of bacon per sandwich.
- Preheat your oven broiler, with the rack 6-8 inches from the heat source.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking together with a fork until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place your bread slices on a baking sheet. Place under hot broiler and toast until golden. Flip bread slices over and toast the other side as well. Remove from oven, leaving broiler on.
- Top toasted bread slices with Lilydale® Oven Roasted Carved Turkey Slices. Top with a half or full slice of cooked bacon. Scatter some apple slices over-top. Drizzle about a tablespoon of the sauce over the sandwich, then top each with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar.
- Place under broiler just until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and enjoy!
More Turkey Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!