Perfect for an easy and delicious lunch, these Turkey, Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwiches come together quickly and can be made ahead, too!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Lilydale. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands that support Seasons and Suppers.
I am so pleased to help Lilydale celebrate their 75th Anniversary, by sharing both their great poultry products and the wonderful Canadian farmers behind them! Lilydale only works with responsible Canadian farmers, to ensure that we always receive the highest quality poultry products. All of their poultry products are 100% Canadian farm raised!
With a wide variety of products, ranging from fresh and frozen to fully cooked products like turkey deli, turkey sausages and turkey bacon, there is a Lilydale product for so many needs and recipes!
You can learn more about all of the quality Lilydale products and their farmers, on the Lilydale website, and find a store in your area that carries the Lilydale products.
I am a big fan of all of Lilydale’s products, but especially the cooked turkey, which is available in both slices and carved. It’s a great way to get that after-Thanksgiving-turkey enjoyment all year round :)
The carved turkey is perfect for sandwiches, so I’ve taken that inspiration and created this easy and delicious Turkey, Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwich. These sandwiches start with nice artisan bread (I used Cranberry and Pumpkin seed bread), topped with Lilydale Carved Turkey strips, bacon, sliced apple and cheddar. To up the flavour, I’ve also drizzled them with an easy and delicious creamy honey mustard poppy seed sauce.
These open-faced sandwiches make a great lunch and can be made ahead and refrigerated, so they can travel to work with you or simply be enjoyed at home for a quick lunch. Simply pop in the microwave (or oven) for a few minutes to light warm and enjoy!
Cook’s Notes for Turkey, Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwiches
You can use any bread you like for the base, but I find an oval, artisan loaf works best. I’ve used a Cranberry Pumpkin Seed loaf here, which was so nice with the toppings.
Be sure to toast both sides of your bread well, so your sandwich is sturdy enough to be picked up to eat, if you like.
I have used a whole slice of bacon here, but you certainly don’t need a whole slice. Half a slice per sandwich or even crumbled bacon would work just fine here. Lilydale Turkey Bacon would be a great choice for this.
A nice aged white cheddar is perfect for these. The nice thing about aged cheddar is that you need less of it, as it has more flavour!
Lilydale’s Oven Roasted Carved Chicken would work nicely here, as well.
These sandwiches are nice and sturdy once cooked, so they travel well. Take one for lunch and simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds to lightly warm and enjoy!
I found these sandwiches also keep well in the refrigerator. Wrap them up and enjoy them from the fridge (and rewarmed in the microwave) for a couple of days.
Turkey, Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwiches
- 5 slices artisan bread oval works best (I used Cranberry Pumpkin Seed)
- 200 g Lilydale® Oven Roasted Carved Turkey Breast
- 3-5 slices cooked bacon slices
- 1 cup apples slices from one large apple
- 1 1/4 cup shredded aged white cheddar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook your bacon until crisp (or start with ready-cooked bacon slices). Use 1/2 - 1 slice of bacon per sandwich.
- Preheat your oven broiler, with the rack 6-8 inches from the heat source.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking together with a fork until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place your bread slices on a baking sheet. Place under hot broiler and toast until golden. Flip bread slices over and toast the other side as well. Remove from oven, leaving broiler on.
- Top toasted bread slices with Lilydale® Oven Roasted Carved Turkey Slices. Top with a half or full slice of cooked bacon. Scatter some apple slices over-top. Drizzle about a tablespoon of the sauce over the sandwich, then top each with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar.
- Place under broiler just until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and enjoy!