Inspired by the classic Hawaiian Pizza, this Pineapple Prosciutto Pizza features grilled pineapple, red onions, prosciutto and Piave cheese.
I read somewhere once that Hawaiian Pizza was first made in Canada, which is a bit strange, since pineapples certainly don’t grow here! Perhaps it was our way of capturing a bit of the tropics through the long winter. Regardless, I love Hawaiian pizza. It’s a bit of a guilty pleasure – knowing there’s something maybe a wee bit wrong about it, but then again … oh so right ;)
This pizza is inspired by the classic Hawaiian pizza, using grilled pineapple and red onions, together with prosciutto and Piave cheese. Piave cheese just happened to be what I had on hand and it turned out to be a great foil for the other flavours in the pizza. It’s nutty, a bit sweet and semi-firm (or firm, depending on how old it is). I didn’t need to use a lot of it to add great flavour, which was nice. I also topped it off with a bit more grated Piave and some fresh baby arugula, for some colour.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Pizza Dough – My homemade pizzas generally start with Jim Lahey’s pizza dough. You can certainly use your favourite homemade pizza dough or store-bought pizza dough.
Pizza Sauce – Make your own pizza sauce, or your favourite store-bought pizza sauce. I’ve long been a fan of Mutti™ pizza sauce.
Pineapple – fresh pineapple will bring the best flavour to the plate. I find the pre-cut pineapple spears the easiest to grill, but rings work as well. You can start with canned pineapple rings too, if you like.
Prosciutto – prosciutto is easy to find in with the deli meat or sliced from most deli counters.
Piave Cheese – If you can’t find Piave cheese, I think Manchego would be nice, or Parmesan, or you could always default to mozzarella.
Get the Recipe: Pineapple Prosciutto Pizza
- 1 lb homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 15 oz Pizza sauce
- 3 Fresh pineapple spears, grilled and cut into chunks
- 1 small Red onion, sliced across the equator and separated in to rings
- 4 slices Prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Piave, Manchego, Parmesan or Mozzarella, grated
- Fresh baby arugula, for topping after baking
- Preheat your oven (and pizza stone, if using) to 500 ° F.
- Prepare your pizza dough in to a round and spread with pizza sauce. Top with grilled pineapple and red onions. Sprinkle with some Piave cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven, 10 minutes or so, or until the crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional Piave cheese, prosciutto and arugula.
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!