These Grilled Sesame Soy Salmon Skewers are a quick, easy, delicious and healthy dinner, on the table in about 30 minutes!
If your house is anything like mine, salmon shows up on the menu with some regularity. Like me, you probably have a bunch of different ways to cook it up, both recipes and methods. It's just hard to beat salmon for a quick, easy, delicious and healthy meal, isn't it?
These Grilled Sesame Soy Salmon Skewers aren't earth-shakingly different, just another option for you, for when salmon night rolls around again :) I love that doing salmon on skewers is a little different, I appreciate the easy marinade (made with standard pantry items) and I always enjoy the flavours.
I love these with lemon slices. The lemon flavour injects itself in to the salmon and really brightens the flavours. It also complements the Asian flavours of the marinade surprisingly well! Feel free to add a veg to the mix as well, if you like. Red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms would all be nice additions to these skewers. You can cook these on the BBQ, in a grill pan on the stove-top or under the broiler, in the oven.
Best part of all? These are on the table in about 30 minutes, and that includes the 15 minute marinade time!
Cook's Notes for Grilled Sesame Soy Salmon Skewers
Frozen (and thawed) salmon works beautifully with these. I look for the frozen pacific salmon that is in evenly thick fillets, so you don't end up with thick and thin pieces on your skewers, which tend to cook unevenly.
Be sure to baste a couple of times with the left-over marinade, to get some nice flavour and caramelization going.
Watch your salmon closely and pop it off just when it's cooked, to avoid dry, over-cooked salmon bits. Test with a fork. It's should flake when you twist the end of the fork in it a bit.
I broiled two lemon halves for presentation here, but normally, I'd serve this with something green. Quickly sauteed Bok choy or spinach is always great!
Grilled Sesame Soy Salmon Skewers
- 2 Salmon fillets (evenly thick if possible, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large lemon (cut into thin slices and seeds removed)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- n a medium bowl, combine the sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and freshly ground pepper. Add salmon cubes, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. (This is a good time to start some rice cooking, if you like. Also, if you're using wooden skewers, set them to soak).
- Heat BBQ, grill pan or broiler to medium-high (for broiler, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for skewers and have oven rack about 6-7 inches from broiler.
- Once salmon has marinated, thread onto skewers, alternating with lemon slices (or vegetable pieces). Cook until just flaky and lightly charred, brushing with left-over marinade regularly. It should take about 5 minutes per side, but will depend on the thickness of your salmon pieces. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.