These grilled sesame soy marinated salmon skewers are a quick, easy, delicious and these skewers are on the table in about 30 minutes!
These sesame soy marinated salmon skewers aren’t earth-shakingly different, just another option for you, for when salmon night rolls around again :) I love that doing salmon on skewers is a little different, I appreciate the easy marinade is made with standard pantry items and I always enjoy the flavours.
I love these with lemon slices. The lemon flavour injects itself in to the salmon and really brightens the flavours. It also complements the Asian flavours of the marinade surprisingly well! Feel free to add a veg to the mix as well, if you like. Red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms would all be nice additions to these skewers. You can cook these on the BBQ, in a grill pan on the stove-top or under the broiler, in the oven.
Best part of all? These are on the table in about 30 minutes, and that includes the 15 minute marinade time!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Salmon – Frozen (and thawed) salmon works beautifully with these. I look for the frozen pacific salmon that is in evenly thick fillets, so you don’t end up with thick and thin pieces on your skewers, which tend to cook unevenly.
- These salmon skewers can be cooked on the BBQ, on a grill pan on the stove-top of in the oven or under the oven broiler.
- Be sure to baste the salmon skewers a couple of times with the left-over marinade, to get some nice flavour and caramelization going.
- Watch your salmon closely and pop it off when it’s just cooked, to avoid dry, over-cooked salmon bits. Test with a fork. It’s should flake when you twist the end of the fork in it a bit.
- I broiled two lemon halves for presentation here, but normally, I’d serve this with something green. Quickly sauteed Bok choy or spinach is always great.
Get the Recipe: Sesame Soy Marinated Salmon Skewers
- 2 Salmon fillets, evenly thick if possible, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar, *see Note 1 below for seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium recommended
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or ginger paste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large large lemon, cut into thin slices and seeds removed
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and freshly ground pepper. Add salmon cubes, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. (This is a good time to start some rice cooking, if you like. Also, if you're using wooden skewers, set them to soak in cold water for a bit before cooking).
- Heat BBQ, grill pan or broiler to medium-high. For broiler, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for skewers and have oven rack about 6-7 inches from broiler. For the grill pan, you can heat over a burner on the stove-top of place into a 450F oven to heat.
- Once salmon has marinated, thread onto skewers, alternating with lemon slices (or vegetable pieces, if you prefer). Remove left-over marinade to a small bowl and microwave until boiling (can also be done in a small saucepan).
- Cook skewers until the salmon is just flaky and lightly charred, brushing with the left-over marinade regularly. It should take about 5 minutes per side, but will depend on the thickness of your salmon pieces. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
More Salmon Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!