Deliciously different, these teriyaki salmon burgers can be made with fresh salmon or frozen salmon. Topped with quick pickled cucumbers, these are a nice way to change up burger night!
I don’t know about you, but at the point in the Summer where I’m looking for something beyond the basic beef burger. This Teriyaki Glazed Salmon burger is just the answer! The salmon burger here is full of flavour, with herbs, ginger and soy sauce and the panko and egg white ensure it stays together perfectly as it cooks.
I’ve used store-bought teriyaki sauce here, for easy Summer cooking, but I’ve also included a simple, homemade teriyaki sauce recipe in the Recipe Notes below, if you’d prefer to make your own.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Salmon – as noted above, you can use fresh salmon or frozen salmon for these salmon burgers.
Teriyaki Sauce – use a nice store-bought teriyaki sauce or use the quick teriyaki sauce recipe provided in the Recipe Card below.
Make the pickled cucumbers ahead and refrigerate, so you’re ready to go.
You can also make the salmon patties ahead, cover and refrigerate. Then cook up later.
I used a 4-inch pastry ring to help shape my patties. Any sort of ring (english muffin ring, cookie cutter – anything that’s open top and bottom) is fine. Simply add the salmon mixture to the ring then press down into a nice patty.
Change it up! Use any sauce you have around and enjoy. Works well with Hoisin Sauce or any semi-thick sauce that will glaze nicely.
Get the Recipe: Teriyaki Glazed Salmon Burgers
Quick Pickled Cucumbers:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 English cucumber slices, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lb skinless fresh or thawed frozen salmon fillet, finely chopped
- 1 large egg white
For cooking salmon burgers:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup store-bought or homemade teriyaki sauce, *or see notes for homemade version
- 4 burger buns, toasted
- Additional cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Leaf lettuce
- Prepare pickled cucumbers by combining the water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add cucumber slices. Let stand 30 minutes, then drain. Refrigerate if making ahead.
- Prepare the salmon burgers by combining all the the salmon burger ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well, then divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Gently shape into a 1/2-inch thick, roughly 4-inch diameter patty. Press a thumbprint into the centre of each patty. Cover and refrigerate if making ahead.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add salmon patties and cook patties for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Top each patty evenly with 1 Tbsp of teriyaki sauce and allow to cook for 30 seconds more.
- Place a bit of lettuce on the bottom half of bun. Top with a salmon burger, then top with 6 cucumber slices and a few cilantro leaves. Add top half of bun.
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp brown sugar
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 Tbsp fresh ginger minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup water In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Thin mixture with water to desired thickness (usually 1/4-1/2 cup water).
More Salmon Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!