This cheese and asparagus stuffed chicken is wrapped in Prosciutto and glazed with maple syrup and grainy mustard for a quick, easy and delicious dinner. Just pop it in the oven and enjoy!
Havarti goes perfectly with asparagus and chicken and together with the salty prosciutto, it's a great combination of flavours.
Any time I stuff chicken with cheese, I know some of it is going to cook out, so I chose my cast-iron skillet for this one, so that I could enjoy the lovely, crispy cheese that cooks out. If you have a cast-iron skillet, I highly recommend it. If not, any oven-proof baking dish is fine. I think it goes without saying though that you shouldn't leave behind the cheese that escapes when enjoying this dish :)
The salty prosciutto will add a bit of salt to the chicken, but a little seasoning on the inside is still a good idea. Maybe just a bit lighter hand than you might usually use with chicken.
Havarti and Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp grainy mustard
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin stalks asparagus, bottom 1 or 2-inches cut off
- 8 slices Havarti cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 375 F. and lightly grease a cast-iron skillet or any oven-safe baking dish. Prepare glaze by stirring together the maple syrup and grainy mustard. Set aside.
- Lay chicken breasts upright on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, slice through the side lengthwise, cutting almost but not all the way through to the other side. Open up the split breast and flatten a bit with your palm. Spoon 1/2 tsp. of the prepared glaze mixture on to the opened chicken breast and spread with spoon to cover. Season with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. Place 3 asparagus stalks on the right side of the opened breast. Top with 2 slices of Havarti cheese. Fold the left side of the breast over-top. Wrap stuffed breast with a slice of prosciutto, tucking the ends underneath. Place in greased skillet or baking pan. Repeat with the rest of the chicken breasts.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Generously brush chicken with glaze and return to oven for a further 10 minutes, or until chicken tests done (165F) with a thermometer.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.