A bright and fresh mango salad, with a zesty lime vinaigrette. Enjoy on its own or as a Summer side dish.
I happened upon the most lovely large and perfectly ripe Alphonso mangoes recently! And while I know there are a lot of ways to enjoy mangoes, this Mango Salad is my favourite. I’ve been making this salad for years and it never disappoints.
For the salad, fresh sliced mango combines with red bell pepper and red onion strips and is tossed with fresh basil and cilantro. The dressing is bright and fresh with lots of lime juice and zest, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of heat, from red pepper flakes.
Mango Salad makes a great salad on its own, or enjoy it as a fresh and bright side for BBQ’d chicken, pork or fish.
Mangoes: Alphonso mangoes are my favourite mangoes. I love their sweetness, flavour and subtle floral notes. These are the yellow mangoes. If unavailable, just use the nicest, ripe mangoes you can find.
Basil: If you don’t have fresh basil to use here, just use more cilantro.
Cilantro: If you don’t like cilantro, substitute flat-leaf parsley. If you don’t have cilantro, more basil or a bit of mint is a nice substitute.
Red Pepper Flakes: The red pepper flakes in the mango salad dressing adds a nice spicy note. Reduce, increase or omit depending on your taste.
Vegetable Oil: Any neutral-tasting oil is fine here. I don’t recommend olive oil, as it is too strong for the delicate mango flavour, in my opinion.
You can make both the mango salad and the dressing several hours ahead of time, just don’t combine the two until just before serving.
Not sure how to cut a mango? Mangoes can be a little trick to cut. If you’re not sure how to cut them into sliced, head on over to the Mango Board and check out this quick “How to Cut a Mango” page.
Get the Recipe: Mango Salad
- 3 mangoes, ripe, Alphonso recommended, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Mango Salad Dressing:
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed (about 2 limes)
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, or other neutral tasting oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the Mango Salad in a large bowl. Toss to combine. *If making ahead, cover and refrigerate at this point, before adding the salad dressing.
- Prepare the Mango Salad Dressing by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking well to combine. Cover and refrigerate if making ahead or use immediately by drizzling over the salad and tossing to combine.
Recipe adapted from a Trish Magwood recipe
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!