Fast, easy and delicious, this Hoisin Orange Chicken Meatball Bowl is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Using lower-fat ground chicken and stir fried bok choy, this is also a lighter meal option!
I love baking with citrus, but I didn't want to ignore the fact that citrus is also fabulous in cooking, as well! This Hoisin Orange Chicken Meatball Bowl is a great example of how you can use some of the Winter's best citrus in your weeknight dinners.
For these meatballs, I used ground chicken. I have to say, I've not always been a big fan of ground chicken, but when it's flavoured well, it's a great lean choice. These meatballs are baked quickly in a hot oven. While the meatballs are baking, simply put on some rice or grains and prepare your veg and sauce. It all comes together quickly in a wok or hot frying pan right at the end.
Cook's Notes for Orange Chicken Meatball Bowl
I used basmati rice in my bowls (because we all know I'm a shameless carb-o-holic ;), but brown rice, quinoa or other grains would also be a great choice.
You can easily substitute ground turkey, pork or beef for the ground chicken here. The time in the oven should be the same, but I would always encourage you to check with a thermometer, just to be sure they are cooked thoroughly.
I used Shanghai Bok Choy here. Baby Bok Choy is also great, as is any green that you can quickly saute (kale, chard, collards, spinach etc.)
When I cooked this up, I quickly stir fried the greens first, then added the sauce, which works fine, but makes the greens quite well cooked. If you prefer your greens just wilted (I think I do, actually), remove the greens before adding the sauce.
Hoisin Orange Chicken Meatballs Bowl
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1/2 naval orange
- Salt and pepper ((note that soy sauce does add some saltiness))
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or water)
- Zest of 1/2 naval orange
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- Bok Choy (or other greens, roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (mince)
- Rice or grains (for servings)
- green onion (chopped, for garnish)
- Orange wedges (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 460 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) and set aside.
- If making rice or grains, start that cooking first.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground chicken with the flour, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, orange zest and salt and pepper. Form mixture in to walnut-sized meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. (I got 15 meatballs out of 550g of ground chicken).
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Prepare greens by roughly chopping and removing stems, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add greens and cook, stirring constantly, until just wilted. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. (If you'd like your greens to stay just wilted, remove to a plate before adding sauce, otherwise, just leave them in). Add sauce and cook, stirring, a minute or so until sauce is hot and thickened. Remove from heat.
- To serve: Spoon rice in to serving bowls. Top with greens and meatballs. Spoon sauce overtop. Garnish with chopped green onion and an orange wedge, for drizzling.