Easy and delicious Asian-inspired orange hoisin meatballs, served in a bowl with rice and stir fried bok choy. Can be made with ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground beef.
These delicious Asian-inspired hoisin meatballs are one of my favourite quick and easy dinners. The meatballs are baked quickly in a hot oven. While the meatballs are baking, simply put on some rice or grains and prepare your veg and sauce. It all comes together quickly in a wok or hot frying pan right at the end.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Ground meat – You can use ground pork, ground turkey, ground chicken or ground beef here, as the flavours go well with all meats.
Bok Choy – I used Shanghai Bok Choy here. Baby Bok Choy is also great, as is any green that you can quickly saute (kale, chard, collards, spinach etc.)
Rice -I used basmati rice in my bowls, but brown rice, quinoa or other grains would also be a great choice.
- When I cooked this up, I quickly stir fried the greens first, then added the sauce, which works fine, but makes the greens quite well cooked. If you prefer your greens just wilted (I think I do, actually), remove the greens before adding the sauce.
Making ahead, Storing and Freezing
You can easily make the meatballs ahead and refrigerate or freeze.
Get the Recipe: Orange Hoisin Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground pork, chicken, turkey or beef
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Salt and pepper, (note that soy sauce does add some saltiness)
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, or water
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoons cooking oil
- Bok Choy , or other greens, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, mince
- Rice or grains, for servings
- green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Orange wedges, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 460 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) and set aside.
- If making rice or grains, start that cooking first.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground pork with the flour, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, orange zest and salt and pepper. Form mixture in to walnut-sized meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. (I got 15 meatballs out of 550g of ground pork).
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Drain any fat and keep warm until needed.
- Meanwhile, while the meatballs are cooking, prepare sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Prepare greens by roughly chopping and removing stems, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add greens and cook, stirring constantly, until just wilted. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. (If you'd like your greens to stay just wilted, remove to a plate before adding sauce, otherwise, just leave them in). Add sauce and cook, stirring, a minute or so until sauce is hot and thickened. Remove from heat.
- To serve: Spoon rice in to serving bowls. Top with greens and meatballs. Spoon sauce overtop. Garnish with chopped green onion and an orange wedge, for drizzling.
More RIce Bowl Recipes to Love!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, a home cook schooled by trial and error and almost 40 years of getting dinner on the table! I love to share my favourite recipes, both old and new, together with lots of tips and tricks to hopefully help make your home cooking enjoyable, stress free, rewarding and of course, delicious!