Easy and delicious Asian-inspired pork meatballs, served with a hoisin orange sauce with rice and stir fried bok choy.
These delicious Asian-inspired pork meatballs are one of my favourite quick and easy dinners.
The pork meatballs are baked quickly in a hot oven. While the meatballs are baking, simply put on some rice or grains and prepare your veg and sauce. It all comes together quickly in a wok or hot frying pan right at the end.
Ground pork - You can also use ground turkey, ground chicken or ground beef here, as the flavours go well with all meats.
Bok Choy - I've use bok choy here in keeping with the Asian flavours, but any green you'd like to add here is just fine, such as spinach or chard.
- I used basmati rice in my bowls (because we all know I'm a shameless carb-o-holic ;), but brown rice, quinoa or other grains would also be a great choice.
- I used Shanghai Bok Choy here. Baby Bok Choy is also great, as is any green that you can quickly saute (kale, chard, collards, spinach etc.)
- When I cooked this up, I quickly stir fried the greens first, then added the sauce, which works fine, but makes the greens quite well cooked. If you prefer your greens just wilted (I think I do, actually), remove the greens before adding the sauce.
Hoisin Orange Pork Meatball Rice Bowl
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1/2 naval orange
- Salt and pepper, (note that soy sauce does add some saltiness)
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, or water
- Zest of 1/2 naval orange
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- Bok Choy , or other greens, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, mince
- Rice or grains, for servings
- green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Orange wedges, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 460 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) and set aside.
- If making rice or grains, start that cooking first.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground pork with the flour, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, orange zest and salt and pepper. Form mixture in to walnut-sized meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. (I got 15 meatballs out of 550g of ground pork).
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Drain any fat and keep warm until needed.
- Meanwhile, while the meatballs are cooking, prepare sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Prepare greens by roughly chopping and removing stems, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add greens and cook, stirring constantly, until just wilted. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. (If you'd like your greens to stay just wilted, remove to a plate before adding sauce, otherwise, just leave them in). Add sauce and cook, stirring, a minute or so until sauce is hot and thickened. Remove from heat.
- To serve: Spoon rice in to serving bowls. Top with greens and meatballs. Spoon sauce overtop. Garnish with chopped green onion and an orange wedge, for drizzling.
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.