These maple soy glazed salmon rice bowls are maple syrup and soy glazed salmon, with sauteed spinach and rice.
So often eating involves an bit of compromise. Sometimes, we compromise healthy for delicious. Other times, we compromise delicious for healthy. In the middle though, there are some dishes that manage to be both healthy and delicious at the same time. And I love it when I discover them!
These Maple Soy Salmon Bowls use healthy salmon, lots of spinach and rice for both hearty and delicious bowl. The sauce is a simple combination of lime juice, maple syrup and soy sauce and cooks up super quickly on the stove-top. Once cooked, this easy sauce is used to glaze the salmon as it cooks, to slightly flavour the spinach and to spoon over the salmon once cooked. And you'll even have a bit left for the rice.
Make it even healthier, by swapping the white rice with brown rice, other grain or cauliflower rice.
Maple Soy Glazed Salmon Rice Bowls
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 cups less 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 6 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp reserved sauce, above
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Lime wedges, for drizzling
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cook rice: Cook 1 cup dried rice with water, lime juice and salt.
- Make Sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and pepper flakes until garlic starts to colour, about 1 minute. Add maple syrup, lime zest, lime juice and soy sauce. Cook until mixture boils. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water. Add to sauce and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook Salmon: Arrange salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy clean up). Season salmon with a bit of salt and pepper. Spread 1-2 tsp of the sauce over each fillet. Roast in preheated oven until just cooked through, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the spinach.
- Cook Spinach: In a medium skillet, heat oil and sauce over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the spinach and sauté until just wilted. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with second 1/2 of spinach.
- To serve: Divide rice among 4 bowls. Top each with 1/4 of the spinach and 1 salmon fillet, broken into large pieces. Drizzle with remaining sauce and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. Serve with a lime wedge for drizzling and any extra sauce (nice with the rice).
Nutritional information provided for general guidance only and should not be relied upon to make personal health decisions.